Author Topic: I have been away a while. Is this a Lodge?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
I have been away a while. Is this a Lodge?
« on: February 26, 2022, 09:15:24 PM »
Greetings WAGs.
I missed out on a raised #9 pan early last year. The seller got all shirty when I would not/ could not identify the pan he had offered for sale. All very messy and the end was a non sale.
This has come my way, a #10. Same(?) make of pan yet unidentified. Although I suspect it may be Lodge #10 One Notch Heat Ring Cast Iron Skillet, I am not certain.
Can you assist me in this? Approximate era of manufacture and anything else relevant?  Many thanks

P.S  the part image of the smaller pan to the left of the #10 is a 'Best Empire Steel'  steel pan, maybe quite old??
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:10:00 PM by James Wilson »

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
Re: I have been away a while. Is this a Lodge?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 06:59:08 AM »
About a month ago I was digging thru some larger skillets and came across one just like that. I didn't remember where or when I purchased it. I saw the one notch and figured it was a late Christmas present!
Cleaned up real nice but was pretty rough, inside and out. Reminded me of the outside finish on one of the old big Wapaks. Had some bad casting flaws in the inside. "10" on the handle.(Not raised) and single notched. But nothing pretty for sure!
Long story short is I let it go a week later as I just did not think it was a Lodge. :scratchchin:
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
Hi Duke, I have been looking onsite.       

This from 'The Cast Iron Collector'.

Lodge Manufacturing Co. - South Pittsburg, TN
1900-1910 "Blacklock"¹ ²
    Skillets have outside heat ring
    Raised size number on top of handle
    Raised molder's mark letter on bottom at 6 o'clock
    "Smashed T-shaped" handle reinforcement rib

² Lodge founder Joseph Lodge was a partner in The Blacklock Foundry, predecessor to Lodge Mfg. ...................................Collector groups have attempted, inductively, to fit skillets with these characteristics into the Lodge timeline.

(From 1910 to the early 1930s, Lodge put its name on its products.)
1930s¹
    Skillets have inset heat ring with single notch opposite handle at 12 o'clock
    Raised size number on top of handle or ¾" high size number at 12 o'clock
    Raised small molder's mark letter at 6 o'clock
    Some earlier "no-notch" patterns were re-purposed, but otherwise have the same characteristics

All skillet & DO lids have grid of pointed tips for basting drippers, may have raised letter molder's mark on underside
    A line of pieces with an unusual "scalloped" heat ring consisting of crescent-shaped segments is believed to be from this time period

It would be helpful if there was a description of the handle characteristic/s. I will keep looking
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 02:39:07 PM by James Wilson »

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:48:11 AM »
While it seems that there have not been any marked skillets with Blacklock found yet. We know there are sad irons and kettles and camp oven lids marked Blacklock. Hopefully we will find a marked skillet one day.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 06:51:14 PM »
Thanks Will>
I am still no further to a determination on the origin of this pan. Perhaps it is just another piece of cast in the history of cast iron.
If nothing else eventuates to positively identify, it can stand on its own merits :smiley:
Still looking and listening ...
Cheers.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 10:43:41 AM »
Oh, your #10 is a Lodge. I thought you were trying to figure if it was a Blacklock. That i can't say. But i feel certain it is Lodge.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »

Thank you for the confirmation Will, that also makes it a respectable age.
The handle on this pan has some nice weight and substance where the handle merges with the pan. Quite unlike the modern version I have here with the assist handle - and that could be why (?)