Author Topic: Pam Seasoning Process  (Read 5407 times)

waybackwhen

Pam Seasoning Process
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
Folks I want to tell you if ye aint tried the PAM method of seasoning you are missing something.This is a first for me.Miss Charlee filled me in on this.I done 3 pieces a corn cob pan,a skillet pan and a griddle.Now boys these turned out great.Close to being black,no spotches,very little fumes and smell.Maybe Honeybiscuit will fix some flap jacks in the morn.Woo Wee can't wait for breakfast.Git you some bacon and sausage and them flap jacks.Look out gonna be some good grub going down.My hat is off to you Miss Charlee--Thanks a mil

Steelheader69

Re: Pam Seasoning Process
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
Bobby, we have one or two threads on the Pam method.  You're right, it is the only way to go.  I won't season any other way after that.  Funny, my wife used one of my pans and let the food sit to long under heat.  It stuck just like it would on a nonstick would at high heat.  But what was great is a little tap of the spatula and it came loose.  No heavy stuck on food like you have on some under seasoned or first time seasoned pans.  

waybackwhen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
Man this is like a Beagle Hound bringin the rabbit right back to you.This is the way to fly.I been dabbling w/ this 12 yrs or better.Crisco was and still is good tho.It's whatever a man wants to use.Our house sho nuff wasn't smoky on this go around.I use to have to raise a window and get a winder fan agoing.Honeybiscuit said she'd put some flap jacks on in the AM.Now we gonna get serious with it.I nocked the moister out of 'em at about 250 fer 20 min and then done the Pam and juked the heat up to about 375 for an hr.Man you ought to see 'um.I'm mighty proud.

Offline Mike Shonfield

• Forever in our hearts!
  • New and Old
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
Just want to put my hand up to the contrary.  At low temperatures you don't get a good polymer base.  You are just getting carbon, so your color looks nice.  But you need high temps and an oil high in unsaturated oil to get a good polymer base...that mirror look.  Try grapeseed oil at 450 for 1/2 hour.

Then do your pam at low temp to get the carbon layer.

My opinion anyway.
Change is hard…. it's very tough to bend a coin

Steelheader69

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
Mike, alot of us start at the low temp, then crank the heat up.  Think we've talked about it in the thread where Greg first brought it up.  After the intial bringing it up to temp, I spray with the Pam, wipe it and put back in oven.  Then after a bit, I slowly start cranking the oven up in temp (think Charlee does same thing).  Darkens it up, and makes it smooth.  Haven't had a problem yet, and my #10 Wagner is nice and glossy in the bottom.  I also kept cooking with the Pam.  When I'd start the heat up on the pan, I'll give it a quick spray of Pam and let her soak up a bit.  I'd make it even to avoid tiger stripes in the pan.  

Offline Richard Giles

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
Even at the low temps my wife can tell when I have had iron in the oven.  Has to be something I can throw in with the iron to give the house that pot roast smell.  Maybe cedar chips, rosemary, or even garlic.  Didn't mother put cinnamon on the stove top to take away the fish odor?     For now it's the grill.    [smiley=help.gif]  

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
Dick, Boil a little cabbage on top of the stove while you're cooking iron.  That'll make her forget all about the iron smell. ;) :D ;)
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Charlee

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
Wish I could take credit for the method Bobby, but it was Greg's original post about finding out about this method at convention that got me started on it.

It is a neat way to season tho!

waybackwhen

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »
Oh but yes you did Miss Charlee.You played a part in this and I want you to know I am very grateful unto you.We all play a part.No big ( I's ) and little ( U's ) to me.We help each other.AMEN FOLKS

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
well I can't take credit for the method.  When I was at the WAGS convention, one of our members (wish I could remember who it was), they had the best looking iron and I over heard him saying that he used PAM.  Well I had tried PAM before as a method to fill in small pits in cast iron (that works well too to get a smooth piece), but I had never tried to season with it, on purpose, but had done it before for a griddle that I was in a hurry.

So, if that WAGS member is on the FORUM, you were at the IOWA convention and were talking to someone during the swap meet.  That is how I found out about the method and it works really well.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

waybackwhen

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
Hoeybiscuit fried bacon and made flap jacks on her griddle that I seasoned w/Pam and let me tell you it went without a hitch.No sticking on the surface.When she cooled down a little I wiped er down w/paper towels and shot a little Pam on er,wiped that a little,good for the next round.Man this Pam thang is the ticket.Never know what's down the road.Thank all ya'll.Greg I was stationed at Ft. Devens,Mass before I got out of the Army in 1971.A little town caled Ayer,Mass. (Out from the base),they had a little dinner and man they made some darn good pastries.Oh so fine w/a cup of coffee to this ol Alabama boy.

Steelheader69

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »
Yeah, I always do a touch up when the pan is hot with a spray and wipe of Pam.  So far my pans are turning out great.  

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Bobby,
know Ayer a little bit. I have only lived here for 15 years. Before that 6 years in Davis, CA, before that 7 years in Philly for grad and undergrad school.  THen it was 4 years in the Navy, picked up all of my bad habits in the NAVY, last year was with the Marines in OKI, met my wife there on a blind date and well it turned out alright, 26 years later, lol.

Glad to have you in WAGS. Hope to met ya at the next convention in TX, if my ole heart doesn't give out before then, if not, I'll be there, fightin' ole Ellis on the golf course for the WAGS golf cup.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

waybackwhen

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
I hear you Greg.Man I met Honeybiscuit in Rolla,Mo., while stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood,Mo.in the Army. I took AIT there and fortunate enough to be in a permanent party co., for 5 1/2 mos.I met her about 2 wks after I got there.We kinda hit off together.Anywho Unc. had a plan and a levy came down and I was a gone duck to Vietnam (I was one of thousands of men who turned 19 yrs. old in country) . We almost got married before I went over.We did get married 3 days after I came back with time to pull.I know about bad habits and all,BUT thank GOD he took that away from me.Man if it wasn't for GOD and Honeybiscuit I would have been dead long ago.God through Jesus can make life so much better and worth living.We can't do nothing without HIM.Lord willing this April 30, 2009 we will be married 38 yrs.Praise God.Maybe she'll fetch me a V/C/I ( Vintage Cast Iron) piece for anniversary gift. ;)

Offline Bill Corum

• WAGS member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
well I can't take credit for the method.  When I was at the WAGS convention, one of our members (wish I could remember who it was), they had the best looking iron and I over heard him saying that he used PAM.  Well I had tried PAM before as a method to fill in small pits in cast iron (that works well too to get a smooth piece), but I had never tried to season with it, on purpose, but had done it before for a griddle that I was in a hurry.

So, if that WAGS member is on the FORUM, you were at the IOWA convention and were talking to someone during the swap meet.  That is how I found out about the method and it works really well.

Greg: It was Jim Nance

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »
I was thinking it might be Jim Nance. For any of you all that don't know who Jim is, there is a picture of him in the latest newsletter. And he sure does do an excellent job of cleaning iron. I got a couple pieces from him and WOW, they sure do look good. I'd have to say that he does the best job of anybody that I have ever seen. And I have seen a lot of iron, so thats sayin something. Jim is a hillbilly from Ky, like some other fine, upstanding, elequent, friendly, well mannered, and MODEST, folks here on WAGS.  ;) ;D

Offline Richard Giles

• WAGS member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »
Perry I agree with  you about Jim's iron.  It feels as if it is polished some how. I have 3 or 4 of his muffin pans. So smooth  to the touch..    Makes alot of good jelly also.  

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Jim is a hillbilly from Ky, like some other fine, upstanding, elequent, friendly, well mannered, and MODEST, folks here on WAGS.  ;) ;D
Thanks CPR.....I really appreciate your kind observation of other hillbilly's from KY folks here on WAGS!   ;D ;D ;D
Jerry

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Jim is a hillbilly from Ky, like some other fine, upstanding, elequent, friendly, well mannered, and MODEST, folks here on WAGS.  ;) ;D
Thanks CPR.....I really appreciate your kind observation of other hillbilly's from KY folks here on WAGS!   ;D ;D ;D

Not a problem Jerry.  ;) Around the Bowling Green area, and north some?