Author Topic: Best water for electro  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Best water for electro
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Was just wondering if ther is an excepted type of water to use in an electro tank. I believe that the softened water that we have here may be an issue with eating away at my SS. There is salt in softened water, and I here that can do that to SS. I have a second electro ready to go, just have to add water and H&H SWS to it. I have a supply of distilled water available from out dehumidifiers, and our central AC unit. Any opinions would be great. Thanks in advance
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
Re: Best water for electro
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
I use regular tap (city) water and it works fine. My SS sheets seems to be as good as new.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
I don't know if the water your using has been softened Sam. I'm hoping to see a difference using distilled water. I do run the tank alot. 24/7 for the last 3 months, with a 1 week break in there somewhere. I use about 1/2 box of H&H SWS in the tank. I never add any more, just water when it evaporates. The amps are usually no higher than 30. More seems to be a waste of energy, because it doesn't clean any better. Maybe I'm just getting low quality SS. A magnet does not stick so I know it's not total junk SS but it must be a lower quality. This is the 3rd lining that I've installed. The sheet is about 1/32" thick. It may be time to step it up a bit, and go thicker. It'll be more of a challenge to roll up and get into the barrel.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
The tap water in Meridian definitely hasn't been softened. Matter of fact, if you run water into your sink it will bounce twice before it goes down the drain. ;) I used to measure out my SWS, so much to each 5 gal of water I added, not anymore, I haven't added any in quite some time and it still works fine. I like to use around 20A, but with my Schumacher Charger I have to set it at it's lowest setting (6V  Low) and it starts off just fine, right at 20A, but as the piece gets cleaner it will increase the output and get up there around 40A. I don't know the thickness of my SS, all I remember is that it sure was a B&@%$ moulding it to the shape of the inside of the barrel. I finally ended up, rolling it up, tying it up with some twine, placing it in the barrel and then cutting the twine. I hope it works out this time for you Chuck.

mississippi_slim

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »
my electro runs about 12 hours a day x 7..i use PH +.cant find the A&H washing soda here.i have used it for over 6 months..the ss  shows no sign of use except its dirty and sorta oily looking..the 22 inch disk blade in the bottom is taking a beating though..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:58:19 AM by mississippi_slim »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
How close to the SS do you place your iron? I load the tank so that the ironis as close as I can get without touching, and hang as many piece as can fit without touching each other. The SS seems to be corroding in the same area that I hang the iron. The top and bottom don't show near the wear, but they are pitted. Everything I dip is left for 24 hours. A light scrub, and it's looking like new, and ready to season. I'm thinking that it's the salt in the water from the softener. The tank is about halfway filled with distilled water right now. I should have it filled by early next week at the rate I'm going. I can't see spending money on distilled water, when it's free from the dehumidifiers, and the central AC unit. Although the SS is cheaper from the scrap yard, I hate shelling out the cash for it. $115 for the last bunch, and I have enough to line the tank twice.

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
You clean a lot more than I do, so there's no comparison. I only do 2 or 3 at the same time and if it's like a #14 only one. I try to leave a couple of inches from my piece and the SS, no set rule there, just what I do.

How do you hang your iron? I made up a bunch of 10-14" "S" Hooks, using one hook on the CI, the other on the Angle Iron running across the top. I still have to clip the CI with 12ga stranded with 2 alligator clips. If I don"t the part of the "S" that is not in the water gets hot enough to burn your hand.

That's about how I do it.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:05:49 AM »
It's a very simple set up really. Just a couple 1 x 3's across the top of the barrel. I srtip the ends of 4 AWG stranded wire, twist one end around the piece, for example, the hole in the handle of the skillet, submerge the piece, bent the wire over the board, run it across the top of the barrel, and hook the other end of the wire to the negative side of the charger. I've been wanting to come up with a better way, but just haven't taken the time. I get a real tight connection at the piece with the twist. It's been working so far. The heavy duty wire carries the current well. Like I said though, very simple.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of the tanks I'm using. The first one is my first big electro that I just took off line because the SS is eaten away again. I'll wait a few days to let it settle, pump the water off, and get it relined with SS. And of course, I'll have to find that clamp that I dropped in a few weeks ago. If there is anything left of it.
     The second pic is the new tank with all distilled water in it. It's actually really clear, but the pic makes it look black. I have 4 pieces hanging now, and should be removing them tomorrow afternoon, when I get home. Only time will tell if the distilled water makes a difference with the SS lasting, but for now, it time to clean some iron.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »
Never have seen anything like picture 1. My tank is probably, at least, a year old but the only thing I can tell is the water is really black except when I'm using it and it gets that off-white foam on top with the black that is coming off the CI.

Chuck, are you sure that isn't butterscotch pudding you have in you first picture? ;)

Offline Ray Emerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
That is a really [size=14]nnnnnnaaaaaaaaaassssstttttyyyyy[/size] barrel!!  

Ray
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:57:35 PM by Harold_Ray »

Offline Ray Emerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »
Chuck,

I want to know the results of your test with the water.  Also, what detergent do you use in your electrolysis unit?

Thanks,

Ray

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
That first tank has probably had 200 pieces or more of CI through it. The top and the bottom of the ss are still there, but the middle is gone. There is probaly 4" of sludge in the bottom of it, and of course that clamp I dropped in. I'm hoping that the distilled water will keep that from happening. I posted pics of the first piece of SS that I ate through some where on here, but don't remember where. This piece looks the same if not worse. As far as the the "detergent", Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. About half a box for one tank. I never add anymore to it the entire time I'm using it. I just replace the water that evaporates.

Sam, my tank starts off looking the same as yours but after a month or so, starts to get the brown foam. Sometimes the foam grows up like a column when it's running, and comes out the top of the tank. It dries into a brown dust.

P.S. If you want to taste test the stuff from tank 1, to see if it's taste like butterscotch, I can send a sample, but I wouldn't recommend it.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:10:11 AM by crogers561 »

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »
P.S. If you want to taste test the stuff from tank 1, to see if it's taste like butterscotch, I can send a sample, but I wouldn't recommend it.

That's ok, I'll take your word for it. :)
Chuck, I do hope your distilled water works out good for you.

Offline Lee Sumner

• My Name Is Nobody
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:41 AM »
I posted pics of the first piece of SS that I ate through some where on here, but don't remember where.

Here is the link Chuck of your SS eatin away.........http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1238300994