Author Topic: Aluminum Hearts and Star  (Read 9112 times)

Prairie_Gal

Re: Aluminum Hearts and Star
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
By the way, you posted those "after" pictures while I was typing. BRAVO!  Looks beautiful!   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »
I thought the same thing about the oven racks.....do you have spare ones you use for cleaning iron, Chuck????  Your aluminum waffle iron came out really nice.  It kind of inspires me to do the same thing to my aluminum heart/star waffle iron.  I, also, have never tried the self cleaning oven method.

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Thank you both for the compliments. It was a first for me. The oven being used is new, but the racks are from our old oven. I'm guessing the old oven was the original one that came with the house in "54". I don't really know for sure. It was a Maytag, and so is the new one. I think the racks were made better. Nothing happened to the rack at all. I'm guessing that they are worried about them warping from the heat. The racks that came with the new oven are stored away. Never did use them yet.
      The self cleaning method is as easy as it gets. It will tie up your oven for about 4 - 5 hours, depending on how long the cycle is. After the self clean, I scrubbed with a nylon brush. There were some black spot, so I tried the tartar method. I don't think it did anything. The spots were still there. I used a super fine ss brush, with soap, and as little pressure as posibble. Then I just used an SOS pad very lightly to finish them. I know the ss, and the SOS sound kinda harsh for aluminum, but it seem to work really well, and didn't leave any brush marks, or remove any aluminum.

Becky, check the date and time of my post. I put them up in the PM hours the day before. If it took you that long to type, you must be very slow at it.  ;D  Just kidding of course. Thanks again Becky and Scott. I'll have to post one more time when the handles are done.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
I thought you weren't supposed to leave your racks in an oven on self clean?

I ask because my new oven has this feature, but I'm afraid to use it, yet...never having come in contact with a self-cleaner, before.

I really should Woman Up and learn how to do this; it's so neat and efficient.

Becky,
  The racks will become discolored if left in during the self clean cycle. My first wife did not know this, and left them in the first time she used this feature of the stove. Now that my racks no longer look nice anyway, I see no reason to worry about it. I clean as many items in the self cleaning oven as will fit on the two racks. Usually 5-6 at once.
  If your racks are still nice, I would avoid using them.
 Chuck's spare racks are the ideal solution. Maybe you could find some old racks at you local recycling center that would fit well enough to use for cleaning iron, while  keeping the original racks in good condition.

Chris
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »
Finally got this one completed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:31:49 PM by lillyc »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses