Author Topic: Question on Electro  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Question on Electro
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
I am setting up an electro tank, and you know me I have questions. I am using a plastic 55 gallon barrel cut in half. For the anode, I am using a heavy piece of steel for the anode, welded up like a U except the bottom is flat. It almost as big as the barrel is round. When the steel is inside the barrel, it comes up to within about 12 inches of the top on TWO sides. The donor piece will sit in a plastic crate on top of the anode, not touching of course with the two sides coming up on either side of the donor piece about 2/3 the height of the crate. So if the steel is not as high as the donor piece will the piece be cleaned? Is the cleaning more of a line of sight deal, and unless the anode is higher than the donor piece am I correct in saying that any part of the donor piece above the steel won't be cleaned?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:38:59 PM by poppop »

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Question on Electro
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
It should clean, but it won't clean as well as if the piece being cleaned was lined up with the other piece.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
thanks Roger...I tried to explain it the best I knew how...but it seemed long and drawn out.

Offline Tom Penkava

• WAGS member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:31:55 PM »
Why don't you add two more pieces of steel, then you will have the "donor" surrounded. ;)

Your deal is very simular to what I use, except I used the whole plastic barrel.  For the anode, I have 4 vertical stacks of old auto brake rotors, 3 to a stack - welded together, then a circular piece of metal connecting the 4 stacks.  I drilled a hole at the top of the barrel and used a bolt to connect to the metal connecting the rotors and clamp the charger lead to the bolt.  Then drilled a hole at the top, 180 degrees apart for a 3/4 in pipe to hang the skillets on ( with #9 close line wire for hooks ).  the other charger lead connects to the pipe.  It cleans very well and does several pieces completely.  the only thing I had to actually buy was a pound of welding rod and the arm & hammer.  The auto college where I work gets it's floor soap in the 55 gal blue plastic barrels, free for the salvage.  the rotors were left from the auto brake lab, also free salvage. I had the piece of pipe, then the battery charger was $10.00 last year on a garage sale. Oh, I suppose I also paid for the 50 gal of water in the barrel. ::)

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
Why don't you add two more pieces of steel, then you will have the "donor" surrounded

Tom, I found a couple more pieces of steel...that will work perfectly. I am going to weld it today...so I will have it completely enclosed except for the top. Thanks.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »
Why don't you add two more pieces of steel, then you will have the "donor" surrounded

Tom, I found a couple more pieces of steel...that will work perfectly. I am going to weld it today...so I will have it completely enclosed except for the top. Thanks.

Are we saying this right?  :-/

The "donor" is the piece that is eaten up by the electro. So why would you want to surround the "donor"? Seems to me like you would want to surround the piece being cleaned, not the "donor".  :-/

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
Perry, I am welding two pieces on the donor piece to make it box like, actually four sides and the bottom covered...and the piece to be cleaned will be lowered into that. I cut the pieces out today, but didn't weld them...and I not doing something right? I guess I am using the wrong terminology, I am calling the piece to be cleaned the "donor", and the other piece the anode.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:18:02 PM by poppop »

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Hey Rick....I believe we have always referred to the scrap iron or stainless steel as the donor piece as that is the piece that usually gets destroyed, in the case of the scrap iron or steel anyway.  The stainless steel fairs a little better if it is a good quality SS.  When you talk about Anode and Cathode, a simple way to remember is: Anode = current flows in, Cathode = current flows out.  So, for the most part, you could say your scrap iron, or "donor" piece would be your anode, and your piece to be cleaned would be your cathode.  But to confuse the matter a little for you....if you reverse your charger leads, then the anode becomes the cathode, and the cathode becomes the anode.  You don't want to do that though unless you want to destroy the cast iron that you are trying to clean.  Best to just remember the RED or positive lead goes to the scrap or donor piece, and the BLACK or negative lead goes to the piece being cleaned.  Hope that is all clear as mud for you.  BTW....it sounds like you will have a substantial "donor" piece when you are finished welding it all together.  Two more comments or suggestions....you might be better off hanging your cast iron inbetween the iron or steel box that you are making instead of setting it on a plastic crate.  You may find that you have a faint pattern of the crate on your clean iron.  Also, drill some holes in your welded iron plates to allow the soup to flow around your cast iron a little better (but you probably already knew that.... ;D)  Also, as you noted, the cleaning process is more or less a "line of sight" operation, so, if your "donor" piece is lower than the top of your piece being cleaned, the cleaning process will not be as efficient, and you will most likely have to turn the cast iron over so that the other half gets cleaned better.  I think it has been talked about before, but your cast iron should be completly submerged in the solution when being cleaned.  Good luck....show us some pictures of your set up and the results when you try it out.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:20:05 PM by sandles2 »
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
Rick just remember "black" cast iron.  You always put the negative black lead to the piece of cast iron you want to clean.

John_D

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »
Roger thats a good one to remember. you guys from Texas make it kinda simple dont ya??  Nice write up Scott. j

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
Thanks all, I had my terminology backwards. Will do Scott.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
Roger thats a good one to remember. you guys from Texas make it kinda simple dont ya??  Nice write up Scott. j

I try to follow the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid  ;D

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
Rick.......if you have a real scientific mind and can grasp all that chemistry stuff you might be able to make sense of this.......it is found in our Educational Links and was written in 2004.  We have learned a little bit since then, but the principles are about the same.  It is a good read, and should be read by anyone setting up an electrolysis system, even if it is over your head.  You get the general idea.

http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/links/electrolysis_explanation.phtml

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
impressive article, thanks for sharing,,

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
Well, the electro is up and running. I was not able to weld the other two pieces on the two sides, 'cause I couldn't get the donor piece back out of the plastic barrel without destroying the barrel and welding it in the barrel would melt it. So I was able to tack weld a bar sticking up above the barrel to hook the red terminal to. I just notched the barrel and layed a 3/4"  piece of copper pipe for the negative terminal to connect to. I used a second piece of old jumper cable, twisted the copper wire onto the piece to be cleaned and just clipped it to the copper pipe. I am getting a good amount of small bubbles...enough to make the water churn slightly, along with some occasional big bubbles coming to the surface and popping. I am cooking it at 40 amps but I am showing only about 6 amp on the guage..but I really don't think the guage ever worked right. So I guess its working right. I don't have many pieces to clean, so I will see how this does. I am not going to leave it running unless I am at home. I am headed to an auction now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:44:43 PM by poppop »

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:04:08 AM »
Found out early that those connections to metal on both sides are very important, as is cleaning the area of connection to the iron. The stranded wire will tend to oxidize if used under the surface of the water.
Nowhere But TEXAS!