Author Topic: Crusty Magnalite Roaster  (Read 10895 times)

MD

Re: Crusty Magnalite Roaster
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
I have used aluminium polish on the exterior but I don't think I'd use it on the interior. It might taste funny.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
Chuck, When I said it will I was referring to Coca Cola doing a number on a stuck piston.  Dad just poured coke on it, let it sit for a couple minutes and started working it loose.  Of course he flushed everything with water once he had freed the piston.

Like Tom, I wonder if it wouldn't remove the mineral deposits on your roaster.  Coke is highly acidic.  I wouldn't leave it on there for a real long time.

It's a pretty mild acid though.  My thought was just to pour it in and let it sit a while - maybe overnight, but I would watch it.

Now I don't know if the Mexican or US Coke formula would be best to try ;D.  The Mexican version is the original formula using cane sugar (Costco carries it).  The US version has used high fructose corn syrup since the invention of new Coke.  My understanding is the sugar switch was really the reason they came out with a new version.  I don't have a clue why I know this - I'm not a regular Coke fan.

Tom

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »
I don't know if you all have ever seen all the uses for coca cola, but, here are fifty-one uses for coke. If you count drinking it, thats fifty-two uses. I don't very often drink pop at all, but, when I do, I like pepsi.

http://www.wisebread.com/51-uses-for-coca-cola-%E2%80%93-the-ultimate-list

John_D

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
I like pepsi to Perry with about 9 glugs of WLW. I heard you need to let the coke go flat before useing it. j

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
I make the acid that goes into Pepsi. It's just phosphric acid. And yes as the soda sits open it's acid value goes up. I don't beleive there is enough acid in there to hurt your aluminum, as they do sell it in aluminum cans.
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Ron_Wheeler

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »
Chuck, make a paste using 5% acetic white vinegar and baking soda.  Spread it on the mineral buildup and let set for as long as possible, overnight is good.  Put in a plastic bag to help keep it from drying out.  You will need to repeat a few times to get all the mineral deposits off.

Cream of Tarter works to remove water stains from aluminum but I've not heard that it will remove mineral deposits.  And, I would use caution with Coke, could (maybe) permanently stain your aluminum.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:37:20 PM by Ron_Wheeler »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
Well, the SC oven didn't do a thing. I ran it for 2 hours, and nothing. I'll have to try some of the other Ideas, when I get a chance. I really want this cleaned, and shiney. I'll keep ya'll posted.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline I. Gomez

• Must find a #13 Griswold skillet...
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
Chuck how is your progress on this one?  I just picked up a Wagner Magna-Lite this weekend and would love to get an update...

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
Well Gomez, it's like this. I haven't had a chance to touch the roaster, but I'm working on polishing the lid. I actually had to order some polishing wheels to get that finishing touch. I'll be polishing that along with the other bunch of Magnalite I picked up.
     As for the roaster, I'll have to finish my C I seasoning, before I can do anything with the inside of it. The cleaning and seasoning takes alot of time in the afternoon, after work. I see the roaster every day after work, just sitting there on the table. I run through some ideas in my head about what I have to do with it, then it's off to the electro tank, to start the next round of C I. I finish the C I anytime from 9:30 to 11:30. Sometimes later. Then it's off to sleep, and I'm up again at 5:00am for work.

OK, maybe that was too much information, but that's how it goes. Maybe some time later this week for the roaster. We shall see.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
Finally got around to this one. I'm not sure why it worked, but the only thing that seemed to loosen the deposits, was when I was cooking some aluminum WI paddles in the roaster with Tartar. So I went back to the tartar, and cooked it until it was all off. There is some light pitting on the inside, and some scratches on the outside, but that's it. I'm working on the lids for the rest of the Magnlite that I have.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:31:57 PM by lillyc »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:32:37 PM by lillyc »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:33:17 PM by lillyc »

Offline I. Gomez

• Must find a #13 Griswold skillet...
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »
Chuck this looks really good I may get motivated to clean the two pieces I have.. or maybe not just yet... have to finish the CI ;D

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
That's as good as this one is gonna get, unless I get a bigger buffing wheel. It took quite some time on the little one that I have. Besides, I'm up to my ears in CI to clean.  :)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Wow, that looks good Chuck. Now you can do a nice big aluminum Wagner pressure cooker that I have. I think those old pressure cookers are neat. In fact, one could have a collection of just them alone when you consider the various manufacturers and across the timeline beginning in the 1700's.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
The more intricate they are, the harder they are. I don't think I'd want to attempt one of those pressure cookers. Sorry Perry. The roaster took about 6 hours just to polish. I've done port and polish jobs on aluminum cylinder heads that took less time.  ;D