Author Topic: W I Base  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
W I Base
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
This is a first for me. I've electroed a japaned high WI base, and not all of it came off. It was in a total of 3 days. The tank is working fine, but it's not all coming off. My question is, Will a round in a self cleaning oven get it off? Thanks in advance
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
Re: W I Base
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »
Chuck I don't know about the oven but whenever I have a japaned item that I want clean I just use paint stripper on it and it works just fine with no harm to the iron  :-/ :-/

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
I don't think the oven will do anything. Had to strip a piece for my sister. Used lie and it took it right off.
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26:41 PM »
I do have paint stripper. I'll have to try it. Thanks guys. Saved me wasting time with the oven.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
Interesting post, let me ask this. I have had a "WAGNER" skillet in the lye barrel for two or three weeks. I took it out yesterday and it seems like the entire skillet is covered with something black. Its hard "rubbery" in texture. I can take a wire grinder and work really, really hard and it comes off but the entire skillet is covered with it. Do you think this skillet was japaned? You can tell it was originally like this, and its not something someone sprayed on.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »
Well Rick I have never heard of a skillet being japaned but then I am far from an expert??  I have had several that had black stuff on them that was nearly impossible to get off but I never paid attention to what it was so I can't tell you for sure.

John_D

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »
Dont know if this has anything to do with this but I have found some pans that were in a house fire that had rubber like gunk on them after trying to clean, Dont know if its plastic or something else. I got most of it off with a wire wheel. j

fatfutures

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
I've run across a few pieces that were "coated" the way Rick described. I've always suspected that some "well meaning soul" actually painted the piece right over the layer of GUNK. I further believe that at some point after painting, some OTHER "well meaning soul" heated the piece. Thus turning the gunk and paint into some type of indestructible substance that NASA and the US military should be made aware of... LOL

All jokes aside, I do believe that paint on top of the gunk is what I've encountered. And, I really do believe that it had been heated after painting. Electro doesn't do much to this stuff. Wire wheel and razor blades and LOTS of patience is all that's worked for me. But, I've never gone with a chemical removal route... might work.

Chuck, you let us know if that paint stripper works.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:28:34 PM by fatfutures »

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
thanks all...I believe Michelle nailed it....she described it perfectly.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »
Well, I thought I had some paint stripper here, but what I have is a can of dried up something. I'll have to get to the hardware store for some, and giv it a shot. I'll keep ya'll posted

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
I have had problems like the one discribed with a pan that had been used with only Pam it's whole life.  That stuff was Toouuugh!
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tom Meinke

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
I use the self cleaning oven to clean my iron and it will remove the japanning.

fume_happy

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
Just out of curiosity, won't the paint stripper soak into the Iron?

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »
Paint stripper won't soak into the iron.  It is a common misconception that cast iron is porous.  It is not, but there can be a "profile" to the surface from rust or other treatment.  

I have cleaned a few painted pieces and I think some paints are pretty resistant to dilute caustic soda solutions.  I can soak 'em for weeks and the paint gets a little soft, but doesn't come off.  I'd suggest good paint stripper on japanning, rather than the self-cleaning oven method.  A japanned coating is usually pretty thick and may really smoke up the house.  Since linseed oil is the base for japan, any old stripper should work well.  Give the piece a good washing to get all the paint off, then put it in the electro for a while.  That should get all of the solvents off the iron.
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!