Author Topic: Grisw mailbox  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
Grisw mailbox
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »
I picked up a Gris #3 Figural mailbox and it has been painted green and I want to clean/strip.  Can the tin on the back of the mailbox be put in both lye bath and/or electro? I've never put anything but cast iron in either.  Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:15:43 PM by mlbohan »

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
Re: Grisw mailbox
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:15 PM »
As far as the tin, the lye or electro would be fine.
 Is the paint that bad?? Gris did have colored boxes. May be original.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
gris color
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
Thanks Ed, I thought it would be OK but wanted to check.  Yea, the paint is pretty bad, they didn't even clean it before painting, just painted right over dirt, dust and all.  Pretty ugly green too.  I don't have my camera with me so will put up a pic when I get home.  Thanks, Mike

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Well here is a pic of the green mailbox.  In my part of the country you just don't come across the the mailboxes often and are usually very rough if you do.  I think it will clean up pretty good.  For sure it is not original paint and for me it just has to go. Mike

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
Mike the lye might not be enough to remove the original paint on the mailbox.  I even sent one through the electro and it still stuck.  I ended up using (okay I will say it again) CitriStrip to get it all off.  The stripper did not make the mailbox rust and it worked like a charm.

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I tossed it in the lye tank just to see. After 24 hrs had to do a check, with a little brushing and little rinse . Top layer was green, next layer was black, next was gold, so back in the tank.  If it doesn't all come off easily with the lye or electro I'll try your stripper.  Mike

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
Mike the lye might not be enough to remove the original paint on the mailbox.  I even sent one through the electro and it still stuck.  I ended up using (okay I will say it again) CitriStrip to get it all off.  The stripper did not make the mailbox rust and it worked like a charm.

Hey Jeff, I wanted to ask you. What would be a good product to use to take paint off of a mailbox? If you find out, or know of something that you would recommend, let me know. Thanks. Perry

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:20:10 PM »
I wonder how the citristrip would work on WI bases. That japaning is a pain lately. Lye is getting alot of it, and electro is finishing the job, but a one step process would be nice.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »
Chuck it works great on them as well.  I have had a few that needed a little extra treatment so I gave it a shot and you would never be able to tell.  It does nothing to the iron itself.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »
Ok then. Where do I find this magical stuff. I'll add it to my cleaning arsenal
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »
Well I don't know what kind of shops ya'all have over there in hillbilly county but round here they sell the magic orange potion just about everywhere you can buy a hammer.

Offline Bryce King

• We love our "Poppy" He buys us Cast Iron
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »

Hey Jeff,

Wonder if that stuff would take the blue enamel off a CI skillet?   ;D

I'm serious too!
Have a great day!
Bryce

"Morality is temporary, wisdom is permanent." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
99% of the time those mailboxes have rivited in backs. BTW....If you can see the inside usually you can tell what color is was. If you have a really bad back I could probably make you another but those darn rivits in these mailboxes make it hard unless you have the means of puting it back on.Most of the others pop right off with no trouble and are replaced without notice....... jesse

I have only had one that wasn't black. It was Bronze. As far as I could tell........jesse..... :)