Author Topic: Believe I've got my pans broke in good! yay!  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Taylor Brogan

Believe I've got my pans broke in good! yay!
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
Ive got a #10 Griswold skillet that has never been seasoned, all I did was wash it good and start cooking with it. Now it has a nice black patina to it and completely non-stick! One question though... how long before it gets that thick crusty black seasoning on it? My #8 Wagner skillet has a very thick seasoning on it and you can cook anything in it w/o sticking even bake cornbread after cooking spaghetti sauce and it will just slide out!  Can't wait for my Griswold to get like that.  ;D

Offline Frank Burkhead

• I Bleed Rust
Re: Believe I've got my pans broke in good! yay!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
Cook with it every day for a couple decades and it'll get good and crusty. But chances are, it'll happen so slowly that you won't notice. ;D

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
Taylor, was your #10 New Old Stock?

Or do you mean it was previously used, with existing seasoning, and you did not clean and strip it..... :-/ :-/

Offline Taylor Brogan

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »
It was clean and new, never been used looked like. I scrubbed it good with soap and hot water and took it over to the stove, heated it up, and started frying zucchini slices w/ cornmeal. very minimal sticking and it just continued getting better over time and today i can fry anything with minimal oil, even potatoes! and they will not stick a bit. But its taken months to get it to this stage. Its a keeper for sure. Its a nice #10 large block Griswold w/ heat ring.

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
It was clean and new, never been used looked like. I scrubbed it good with soap and hot water and took it over to the stove, heated it up, and started frying zucchini slices w/ cornmeal. very minimal sticking and it just continued getting better over time and today i can fry anything with minimal oil, even potatoes! and they will not stick a bit. But its taken months to get it to this stage. Its a keeper for sure. Its a nice #10 large block Griswold w/ heat ring.
Well, Taylor, you can do what works for you, but I certainly wouldn't recommend buying and using a pan without thoroughly stripping and properly seasoning it first.  The only time I haven't followed my own advice was when I knew how it had been cleaned and seasoned before buying it (like from another WAGS member).  I can't speak for the others, but I would guess almost all of them do the same as I do.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Taylor Brogan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
Sandy, I appreciate the advice and I do strip ones that i buy at flea markets and such. But this one my grandpa had hanging in his garage since the 80's. Which he said he cleaned with Red Devil I believe he said. But It was clean and plum gray inside and smooth. So I figured I would go ahead and use it. I guess its too late to strip it now  :(

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
Red Devil used to make lye. What you did was probably fine.