Author Topic: Crusty Griddle / Lye Bath How To's and Q&A's  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
Re: Crusty Griddle
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
I made my first lye bath yesterday. It's an 18 gallon Rubber Maid tote and I put in 10 gallons of water and two pounds of lye, mixed it all up and stuck a corn pan in. WOW! I was impressed. Most of the gunk came off in the first couple hours.

A couple questions:

1. Where do you guys keep your lye baths and what lengths do you go to keep them safe and out of the way? Needless to say, 10 gallons in an 18 gallon tote is not easy to move except by slowly dragging/sliding it across the floor.

2. What about winter conditions/temps? Mine is in the garage, where the gas furnace is located, and even on the coldest days, the temp rarely falls below about 40 degrees ... unless the door stays open a while.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:51:42 PM by Ken_Davis »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Ken, my lye baths are outside, placed inside my 5 foot perimeter fencing, with clearly posted No Trespassing signs on the fence.  :)

They are placed in a protected no traffic area, snapping lids on at all times, with bungee cords attached over the lids to keep them securely in place.

Many folks leave them outside in the coldest of temperatures.
I prefer to empty mine for the winter, but I haven't got to it yet this year.
Next few days, hopefully. I err on the side of caution, and don't want to risk hard freezing cracking the plastic of the Rubbermaids.
If I were using a heavy plastic 30 gallon drum, I probably would leave it in place.

When I set up my heated LB in the garage, I have it on a furniture dolly so I can move it if needed.  The Lye Bath will work more effectively at warmer temperatures.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:05:32 PM by lillyc »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
This was my indoor, in the kitchen, setup last year.  (The first time I set up indoors). Small vinegar bath, small lye bath and Evaporust.   I had a few smaller pieces I wanted to work on. 

I do not have children running around anymore, and I keep the lids snapped on tight in case the kitty would get curious.

Offline Ken Davis

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »
Thanks, Cheryl. That has given me some ideas for mine. Thankfully I don't have children running around anymore either. When the grandkids come over, the garage is off limits anyway. But to be cautious, I also keep the lid in place and it's marked with appropriate warnings.

Still, I don't feel completely comfortable with the thing sitting out where someone might unknowingly kick/bump/try to move it. Maybe I'll section off a corner of the garage with some sort of barrier.

In any case, no more oven cleaner for me!    ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:43:40 PM by Ken_Davis »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
[size=14]DUE TO THE EVOLVING NATURE OF THIS DISUSSION, I AM RENAMING/EXPANDING THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD TO MAKE IT EASIER TO FIND THIS INFORMATION IN THE FUTURE[/size]

[size=11]Just an FYI[/size] :)

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
Re: Crusty Griddle / Lye Bath How To's and Q&A's
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
Thanks to Roger for the griddle ID! I tried to research unmarked pieces before asking, but I guess I should have also checked out the Lodge thread. There IS some minor pitting, but it is still nice. :)

As for the lye bath discussion, it's definitely convinced me that the oven cleaner method, while eventually effective, is more hassle than it's worth.

Offline Ken Davis

Re: Crusty Griddle / Lye Bath How To's and Q&A's
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
... not to mention the mess, Karen.

BTW, very nice job on the griddle.