Author Topic: Battery Charger Safety?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Trevor Lawrence

• Trust in the Lord
Battery Charger Safety?
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
I am the only one worried about leaving the battery charger running for 12+ Hours, either while i sleep or at work?

I really want to do more iron, but only have a few hours every night. I fear that it is somehow gonna catch on fire and burn my house down while i sleep.

Has anyone taken any precautions? I am thinking about starting out with its own circuit breaker.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Battery Charger Safety?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Trevor, you are NOT the only one!! :)

My electro is in the garage.  I had a new main run out to the garage, with all new breaker box, and dedicated line for the electro.

I do leave mine running 'unattended', meaning I am present in the area, but may be in the house, or else where on the property.  I monitor my electro every 30 minutes or so.  I do not leave it running overnight. 

If a piece is not 'done', I shut it down and ... important here....
REMOVE THE PIECE and set aside.  Never leave a piece hanging in the electrolyte without the power flowing.... :)

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Battery Charger Safety?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Never leave a piece hanging in the electrolyte without the power flowing..

You can leave a piece hanging as long as you disconnect the battery charger cables.  The problem occurs when you don't disconnect the cables, it can make it's own cell and run in reverse so to speak and corrode the area it's hanging from.  The solution of sodium carbonate itself won't hurt the piece. 

Trever I don't leave a piece running when I'm not going to check it.   I've never had a problem while it's running, but I wouldn't leave it unattended. 
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.