Author Topic: USING FLAXSEED OIL  (Read 860 times)

Offline Roland Arellano

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
USING FLAXSEED OIL
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
Thought I would share a few pics of 2 recently purchased pans I have been cleaning and seasoning the last few days with Flaxseed oil.  The griswold #8 in the front has 3 coatings and the Griswold #6 only has had 1 coating.  As you will note, the black patina is developing nicely with the #8 having 3 coatings.  I will give both of them about 7 or 8 coatings.  I will post pics when complete.  I have had great success using the Flaxseed oil.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: USING FLAXSEED OIL
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
Hello Roland, and welcome to WAGS!

Just a word of caution.... many folks have started using Flaxseed oil, and then get a few months down the road, and begin to experience some major problems with their beautiful seasoning flaking off, bit by bit, leaving nasty black particles in their food.

So for that reason, many of us do not use or recommend that particular oil.  It's expensive, and does not appear to wear well. :)

Offline Roland Arellano

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Cheryl, thanx for the heads up.  I will monitor this closely and provide feedback if I experience similar results.  I believe the flaking is coming from applying the initial coatings too thick and not heating to 500 for at least an hour with each coating.  Each coat I apply is very, very thin and then patiently go through the process of applying at least 8 coats before they are ever put to use.  Have not had any issues thus far.  One of my pans is well over a year having had the original seasoning done with the Flax and no issues yet.   I only do the initial coating with Flax.  For daily maintenance, I use Crisco or rendered pork fat.

Offline Taylor Brogan

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
I just use old-fashioned lard for seasoning my cookware. and I also cook with lard. So lard is all my skillets see besides the occasional crisco. Those sure are pretty! i have heard flax seed oil does a good job.

Offline Roland Arellano

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
Taylor, yesterday I cooked a nice batch of New Mexico green chile in my ERIE #12 with ground venison and the CI did an awesome job.   These old beauties just make cooking so easy because they retain their heat so well.   Enjoy the pics...