Author Topic: Novice Question  (Read 998 times)

Offline Andrew Goss

• WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Novice Question
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
I have a new Lodge (I know I know) 10 inch skillet pre seasoned and all that jazz (I bought it before I found the joy of Old Iron) I am now going to pass it on to a family from Nepal that has need for another skillet, I want to strip it and give it a fresh coat of seasoning sorta like a new life - the method I currently use is the Easy Off in a garbage bag technique - it works great with the older skillets, but I am just wondering if it will work with this skillet I just want to make sure that it is in good shape for them to use it for years to come - I then plan on giving it a vinegar bath and reseason in the oven - I just wanted to make sure the easy off would accomplish getting it clean. Like I said this was my first skillet ever and I didn't know how to keep it clean really well so it has some scrape marks and stuff

Thanks for the help

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Novice Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
Andrew, the Easy Off should work.

My experience with the Lodge Preseasoned is that... it is tuff stuff, and it took extra time in my double strength lye bath to remove it.... so be prepared for some extra oven cleaner treatment if needed.

Vinegar bath worked well also... (these were CO's and difficult to fit into the electro...).

Pieces turned out just great!

Offline Andrew Goss

• WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »
Normally I would have just passed it off and not cared but the pre-seasoning is scraping off in places and I want to give them the best possible piece I can if only because I'm a proud stubborn part German individual who doesn't give away stuff that I can do better on - so I shall tackle it with the easy off and be mentally prepared to hit it a few extra times for extra measure - Thanks again Cheryl you are one of the wisest members on here!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Thank You Andrew.  There are MANY here much wiser than me though... that is how I became a teeny bit wise...  ;) 
I am just the 'chatty cathy' one!  ;D

I just sold my very first Lodge pieces to a friend....  :'( :'( I still miss looking at them... ::) They were the First pieces of CI that I found when starting my addiction career uh, HOBBY.

1960's with the Heart Maker's mark... a number 12SK and number 3SK.

I have been getting daily pictures of the good use they are put to!  The wife is thrilled because hubby luvs his new skillet and is doing all the cooking!