Author Topic: French waffle iron finish  (Read 862 times)

Offline Anthony Richerson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
French waffle iron finish
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
Getting ready to restore a Griswold #8 french waffle iron, was the base originally jappaned or seasoned?  IF jappaned would high temp black paint be a good replacement?

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
Re: French waffle iron finish
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
Anthony,

The 1890 - 91 catalog states that these were supplied with a japanned rim.  The 1895 - 96 catalog states the same thing.

Regarding the high-temperature paint, I guess it depends on what you want.  I think spray paint is going to look a good bit different than real japanning.  I don't know if you have looked into what a japanned finish is, but it is pretty thick in the liquid form and contains asphaltum.  When a japanned piece is "stoved" or baked in an oven, the finish melts to some extent and becomes glassy.  It is a lot of work, but for some people, like the old Stanley plane crowd, it is the only way to get a finish that looks like the original.

You can always try the high-temperature paint approach on something small like a cast iron ash tray and see how it turns out.  If you don't like it, strip it off, and see if you can find some real japan to try.

Jeff
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!