Author Topic: What temperature burns off seasoning?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Jared Weir

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
What temperature burns off seasoning?
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
I seasoned my skillet with Crisco and everything was going well with normal stuff like fried chicken.  Then I tried to do a steak.  I preheated the skillet to 500 degrees in the oven and then put it on the burner on high.  After a few minutes the seasoning started looking very dry in the center of the skillet.  I went ahead and seared the steak and finished it in the 500 degree oven.  The steak was great but some gunk was really crusted on the portion of the skillet where the seasoning had changed colors.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I burned the seasoning off the center of the skillet.  I would like to continue using some variation of this method for cooking steaks, but I need to know what the temperature at which I will destroy my seasoning.  I am planning to buy an infrared thermometer so I am confident that I can control the temperature of the skillet.  So what temperature burns off seasoning?

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
Re: What temperature burns off seasoning?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
Laboratory furnaces that are used to determine how much of a sample will combust and how much is left behind as ash operate at 550 C (a bit over 1000 F), so we know that is too hot.  This is also the clean cycle temperature of many self-cleaning ovens.  If you indeed burned off the seasoning, the temperature of the skillet must have been really hot.

I have cooked steaks using the sear-then-into-the-oven method a number of times.  The procedure I use includes coating the steak with oil, then searing it.  It is important to pick an oil with a fairly high smoke point, such as refined peanut oil (450 F) or extra-light olive oil (450 F).  You can heat your skillet to 500 F with these oils and the smoke won't be too bad.  The oven temperature I use is on the order of 450 F. 

I suspect that if you have a well-developed seasoning, smoke generated from it will be minimal at 450 - 500 F.  Smoke means that volatile compounds are being released from the seasoning, but the seasoning isn't actually burning off. 

My suggestion is try using a high smoke point oil, preheat you skillet to 450 F in the oven, and keep the burner heat under control so you maintain a skillet temperature in the 450 - 500 F range.  Another searing suggestion is to use a skillet (or two) as a weight to keep your steak pressed down firmly while it is searing.
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Jared Weir

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
Thank you for the information.  I have no idea how hot my skillet is getting on the stovetop.  I really need an IR thermometer.  I like my steak medium rare.  How long do you put them in the oven to finish them and do you flip it halfway through the oven portion?

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
I agree with Jeff... 450 is hot enough. And not very long in the oven for med rare..maybe 2-3 mins. Also depends on how thick the steaks are. If they are 1 1/2" thick or less, I don't even bother with the oven part. A good sear on both sides and a few minutes rest and they will be med rare.
What size skillet are you using Jared? I have found skillets larger than a 10 are hard to heat evenly on the stovetop..the center is always hotter. Also, if there is any upwards bow to the skillet, the center can be left high and dry and will burn dry any drippings and seasonings ( I use a little dry rub and coarse salt and pepper) from the steak in the center area. Deglaze with a splash of red wine and scrape it all clean, let it reduce a little and use the gravy on the steak and taters...yum.  ;)

Offline Jeff Friend

• Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »
I like them rare to medium rare, too.  I put a cookie sheet in the oven with the skillet.  The skillet comes out to do the searing.  When the searing is finished, the steak goes onto the cookie sheet.  I cannot tell you how long it takes - depends on the steak - so I always use a meat thermometer.  Like Mark says, it doesn't take long.
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Great question Jared, I was wondering the same thing when I had this very issue just yesterday. I decided to try a method I read about in an article, where no oil is used:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/steak-that-sizzles-on-the-stovetop.html

I didn't preheat the skillet in the oven, just slowly brought it up to temp on the stovetop. My final temperature setting was at about 75% on my electric stove, not high as the recipe suggested. The steak never stuck, but after four minutes of cooking I could see the seasoning had burned away in spots. Down to bare iron, and this was a modern pre-seasoned Lodge that had additional cooking seasoning buildup. I was very glad I chose that pan for this experiment instead of one of my older ones.

I can't imagine my pan was anywhere close to 1,000 degrees F, but I too have no idea what the temperature is on the stovetop, so I'll be getting myself an IR thermometer as well.

Thanks also to Jeff and Mark for the helpful hints!