Author Topic: Brass Brush...Copper Scrubbie...I can't remember the rules  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Mary Kennedy

Brass Brush...Copper Scrubbie...I can't remember the rules
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »
[size=14]I am seasoning a Findlay skillet that has a spot with a copper color hue that the seasoning is not properly covering.  If I recall, cleaning a pan with a brass brush or copper scrubbie could cause this.  Perhaps a past owner did that.  I have searched on the forum for threads on this and I have been unsuccessful at finding any (I think I'm getting old).  Can someone remind me which item causes this, if it will ever be covered by layers of seasoning, and whether it's fine to cook in anyway?  Thanks a bunch.

Mary  [/size]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:59:57 PM by lillyc »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Brass Brush...Copper Scrubbie...I can't remember the rules
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
Copper scrubbies AND brass brushes can leave behind coloration that is very difficult to remove.  Some folks have reported success in removing the color with a Self Cleaning Oven, or Electrolysis.
I have not had a need to test either...  :)

Hopefully someone else can offer advice on the "will it ever season" issue.

Maybe try some fine steel wool over the spot to see if that will help the seasoning to 'stick'.....  :-/

Offline Mary Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
Thank Cheryl!

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
If it is copper, it can be removed with ammonia. You may need to get the janitorial strength (10%). Don't know what it will do with brass.

Offline Mary Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »
[size=14] Thanks for the information Gary.  :)[/size]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:28:16 PM by lillyc »

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
Mary, I use this to clean copper from my rifle barrels, which it does very well. Never had copper on a skillet, but it might work if nothing else does.  It's a pretty strong solvent though. I would dip a piece of steel wool in it and just work on the spot you have.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/23137?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjkKEQjww6SdBRDls9vxsf7EoM0BEiQART_xPhJkWgg2YvGe-ScCYXDY39HJ4rLFSet-oYjmTUvwPObw_wcB#

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »
That is a good suggestion Mark! 
Mary, Let us know if anything has worked for you!
(post is now on the C & R Board for future reference) :)

Offline Mary Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
[size=14]Thanks for the information Mark.  I don't know if we have that brand in Canada.  I found this one, however: 

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/66286/otis-o12-cu-copper-remover-liquid-2-oz

Since its biodegradable, I don't know if it will pack the same clout.  But I might try it and see if it gets the sheen off.  I got to get to the soap making store and get some lye, so I can start over.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:09:07 AM by katidyd »

Offline Mary Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
[size=14]Cheryl, I will report if anything works.

As a side note, I picked up some red palm oil thinking I would try seasoning a skillet with it and see how it does.  I see you were looking at trying it, but I know it would be costly to use on all of your iron.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:06:52 AM by katidyd »

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
I'm not sure what it is that you found, but if it says copper remover for rifle bores, it will probably work. There's a lot of hunters in Canada...I'm sure there must be a similar product. Hoppe's is another good brand. Good luck and let us know if you try it and if it worked.  :)

Offline Gary Salsman

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
I bought the industrial strength ammonia at the local hardware store (Ace) for about $6 a gallon. I had some chrome plated skillets that I had the chrome stripped, and copper was underneath. I got enough to submerge the entire pan

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
I picked up this skillet in a box lot of cast iron last weekend. This one skillet had the telltale signs of a brass wire wheel being used on it. The first photo is the skillet after a lye bath and water rinse. The second photo is after 7 hours in the electro tank. The third photo is after 2 coats of coconut oil at 500F for an hour. The exterior of the skillet looks mottled and user modified, but the gold tone is all gone, and it took seasoning. The factory ground cooking surface was not abused; so it’ll make a good camping/grilling skillet.

Offline Mary Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
[size=14]Very nice clean-up job Russell!  I am really impressed! Unfortunately for me, I don't have electro, and I am having a hard time finding any ammonia at hardware stores, but I will still try to look around.  Our Home Depot, Rona etc. don't have it.  They have all sorts of environmental cleaners.

I can't even get the furniture stripper I used to use and replaced it with a weaker environmental product.  Less fumes yada yada.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:04:29 PM by katidyd »