Author Topic: Removal of Chrome?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Rob McCoy

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Removal of Chrome?
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »
I just bought a Griswold no 8 Skillet locally for $15 which I believe to be a Du Chro one. The pictures may make it tough to see but the handle (top side) is shiny as well the the top of the brim around pan. The rest is a matte color. The Chrome is coming off the cooking surface and I am not sure if its safe to cook with it like that?

Should I remove all the chrome or just the cooking area or leave it?

If I should remove it then how should I (apartment dweller) go about it without ruining the pan?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I tried using search function and did not find anything so hopefully this has not been brought up before.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:57:59 AM by usmcveteran »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Removal of Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Rob, general consensus around here seems to say de-plating a piece at home is not possible, but I do recall a post here about finding a plating company to de-plate it for you. The problem is, you'll probably spend more than the item is worth (unless it is a truly rare piece). Chromed pieces really need to be in perfect shape to fetch a good price. I don't recall seeing a piece that has the actual cooking surface chromed. All the chrome and nickel pieces I've seen still had a cast iron cooking surface.

Offline Rob McCoy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
Russell,

Thanks for the info. I do have a few emails out for quotes locally for de-plating and also to a few places to see if they can sandblast it.

So if I leave it as is then I should still be able to cook with it without issue right?

Ultimately I just want this pan for cooking with and the plating that is left on the cooking surface is bugging me since I will have a partly chromed partly seasoned cooking surface.

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
FYI sandblasting will totally ruin it.  Don't do it.

Look around this board and you'll find plenty of threads showing what happens when CI is sand or bead blasted.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Rob McCoy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
Thanks Sandy.

So am I assuming right then that my only options are to pay a lot of money to strip it (got a quote of $175 to re-chrome it) the right way or I could try sandpaper?

Other then those options then I just use it as is?

I just used the skillet for the first time to make pizza in it and OMG best pizza I ever made at home!

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Rob, I tell everyone to bake pizza in cast iron if they want the best crust.
Talking about sand blasting of throwing cast iron in a fire to clean it will get you a lot of frowns around here real fast. Neither are prudent ways to restore cast iron.
You might have better results with your pan just using it for baking. Not sure how evenly it will fry with a combination of chrome plating and iron on the cooking surface.

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
So am I assuming right then that my only options are to pay a lot of money to strip it (got a quote of $175 to re-chrome it) the right way or I could try sandpaper?
Well Rob I'm not the most adventurous person when it comes to cast iron.  I wouldn't pay big $$$ to have it replated, and I wouldn't use sandpaper on it.

I have a couple users in the same shape, and they work just fine.  They do everything black iron pieces do... they just aren't as pretty.

Were I you, I would clean and season the skillet and use it as is.  If the "not pretty" factor bothers you, replace it with either a black iron skillet or one with the plating completely intact.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
$175 for a chrome replate #8?  Give me the $175 and I'll send you a perfect plated #8 skillet. 

IMO, it is a waste of good money.  I would just use it or sell it and get a black cast iron one for $20-30.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:56:02 PM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Rob McCoy

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your input. That's why I wanted to ask you all before I did anything rash.

I will just continue to season and use it and I am sure over time if I use a metal spatula it will naturally take off the remaining chrome on the cooking surface in due time.

I already have 2 more pans on the way too me and a Griswold Ashtray.

I have already decided that I am going to be asking family if they have any they don't want to try and save myself some money with this addiction!

Speaking of which I asked a co-worker the other day and she said that her brother threw out a complete set of their fathers. I asked what was wrong with them and she said they were rusty! I told her that was a huge mistake and if she ever knows anyone else who is going to throw away rusty cast iron to let me know!

Offline Thomas Oen

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
Rob, I have taken numerous pieces to a plating company in Portland IN for myself and other members and had good results. They charge $10.00 per piece. If you can find a plating company close,check them out It would be a lot cheaper to remove the plating than to replate it.   Tom

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
Rob, I recall an old forum thread about the safety issue.  One person said his Grandmother cooked with chrome & nickel plated iron for many years and lived to a ripe old age. 

Offline Gary Salsman

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
I have also taken pieces to a replating shop. $10  to remove the plating. They have to remove all the plating of the pieces they are replating in order to replate. The replate cost is expensive because of all the steps required to replate. I found a small shop that specialized in street rod and motorcycle parts.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
As Gary and Tom mentioned above, I've found a place for deplating. I'll be taking my first batch there this weekend. Same price. $10.00 to deplate. Be sure to explain to them that you want deplating, and not some sandblasting to remove the plating.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses