Author Topic: Paying My Tuition to CI  (Read 842 times)

Offline Alex McKenna

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Paying My Tuition to CI
« on: December 23, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
Been doing reasonably OK in learning and choosing pieces until this week, 2 cracked skillets, both bought online (one a BSR I may have cracked with SCO, opposite handle  1/2-3/4" down sidewall....I opened the door a little too early I think,  I heard a light pop as well. (Lesson learned inspect fully before cleaning)

Pan 2 "Wagner" Sidney 8  see link to video, a crack correct ?  Any special treatment for cleaning? I'm afraid it will fall apart.  I had been doing SCO and/or Electrolysis and have avoided lye but thinking that is what I should use to avoid any further damage?  I did know of the obvious casting flaws shown but was told there were no cracks. Cooking surface appears very good however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpLM2GpG5I

Any chance these are still usable, aka will cracks seal with seasoning?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:59:25 PM by Ajmckenna »

Offline Randy Eckstein

• WAGS member
Re: Paying My Tuition to CI
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
Hi Alex, sorry to hear about what you found, which likely were in place before you did anything.  Sometimes the cleaning process uncovers these defects, so obviously seasoning and/or crud can cover them over time but doesn't cure the fact that it is there.

Pan can still be used for non-frying purposes like cornbread, pizza, skillet cookies, even used to brown something and then transfer the whole piece to the oven. Wouldn't use it for cooking anything with more liquid or oil than you would use to fry an egg or saute something.  Also as you noted with the SCO, avoid rapid changes in temperature that could exacerbate the crack and exercise caution when moving the skillet around with food still in it.
The good chefs never burn anything--we call it "culinary brown"!!