Author Topic: Can a weld be undetectable  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Bo Toepfer

• WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Can a weld be undetectable
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
I have an early  1880's Erie  # 7 it has a very fine crack near the handle and does not effect its use at all,  can it be repaired to where the weld is undetectable?  any thought on its value?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:34:55 PM by captbo »

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
Re: Can a weld be undetectable
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
No realistic idea on value, but when you find a welder that can weld it and make it undetectable, I want his name and address.     ;)

Offline Susan Salsburg

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »
It will only have value to you. I have an Erie that had family connections & my race car welder guru welded/brazed the handle back on. You can see the line if you know where to look. I dabbed a bit of high-temp engine paint over the seam & continue to enjoy my skillet. I would certainly never throw out an Erie because of a crack but it will never have any re-sale value. Sue

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Well I'm not so sure about that Susan. I was watching a cracked Erie #6 (listed by a member here), hoping it would go cheap and I would have bid. It sold for 93.75! 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Pre-Griswold-ERIE-Second-Series-6-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Cleaned-Ans-Seasoned-/111566684733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=8DHmyKSXx%252Bsf8f7Zi4Mwdmofa1M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
I have an early  1880's Erie  # 7 it has a very fine crack near the handle and does not effect its use at all,  can it be repaired to where the weld is undetectable?  any thought on its value?
Many years ago, I got a #13 Griswold skillet with a huge crack close to the handle.  It had been brazed, and I ground/sanded down the braze very smooth, inside and out to match the surface level of the skillet.  Then used Grey and Black spray paint, and Grey Textured spray paint, to color the repair and match the color of the skillet inside & out.  By spritzing the repair very lightly with grey and black, and textured spray paint on the outside, the repair was undetectable to the naked eye....even in bright sunlight! You had to see the before, and after pictures to believe it.  It was a lot of work, but made an excellent display piece.
Jerry

Offline Dave Sommers

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
I saw that Erie #6 ... It was sold by a member of WAGS. :)

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:28:10 AM »
Hi Dave, yes I know...I mentioned that in my comment above. That was an exceptional piece if not for the small crack. It sold for more than another 6 I was watching that wasn't cracked.  Go figure.  [smiley=shrug.gif]

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
Oooops ... Yes you did Mark. Read too fast since I was reading during my 30 minutes of lunch at work. LOL

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 11:54:46 PM »
I know where to find a Large Block Slanted Griswold #14 Skillet. It must've had a large crack at one time but someone did a wonderful job of welding it ... but it is detectable. They are asking $225 and I just saw it at a local store today. It's not for me but if someone else is interested let me know. There was also a Pre-Griswold "Erie No. 22" Corn Stick(not the one that looks like a piece of corn) pan. I might pick it up for myself and have the wife make her Jalapeno Hoppers with it.  ;D Also 2 red/white enameled corn bread pans that they are asking $36.

And ... a #14 Round Bailed Griddle that looks like it's either Aluminum or they took a grinder down to the bare metal in order to try and clean it. I'm not really sure what to make of it. My wife thought maybe they spray painted it Silver ... yes ... it was that bad.  ;D I will post a picture if anyone wants to see it. LOL
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:00:44 AM by dsombiker »