Author Topic: iridescence after seasoning  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: iridescence after seasoning
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
and something about the texture of them gets the iron cleaner than a SS scrubbie alone, imo.

Mark, that is probably the aluminum oxide abrasive that is embedded in the green scrubbie.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
Well there might still be a little left in it, Russell, but not very much. I would liken it to a new piece of sandpaper vs a very well used piece. And the more I use it, the softer it gets. I just think it can get into the tiny nooks and crannies of the surface better. I think the ss scrubbie just floats over a lot of the tiny pits and pores.  There are other things I use, like a toothbrush for tight places, but for wide open spaces that worn scotchbrite pad does a great job. If I saw any damage, I'd stop using it..there just isn't any.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:58:51 AM by mark21221 »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »

Well what I would suggest to you, to prove it to yourselves...

I want you to reach into the cupboard, and grab the most favorite aluminum cookie sheet that belongs to SWMBO.  [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif]

Then use that Green Scrotchbrite to clean up that cookie sheet.

And then run and hide.

Make sure you have a good supply of food & drink <strong spirits>

and hope she puts the rolling pin down in a few days...

[smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif]

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
Well what I would suggest to you, to prove it to yourselves...I want you to reach into the cupboard, and grab the most favorite aluminum cookie sheet that belongs to SWMBO.  [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif]
Then use that Green Scrotchbrite to clean up that cookie sheet. And then run and hide.
Make sure you have a good supply of food & drink <strong spirits> and hope she puts the rolling pin down in a few days...  [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif] [smiley=TFRFA1237.gif]
Ha ha, thanks Cheryl; I might defer on that trial ;D
I will say though, that I rule the roost in our home ;) and for two, the analogy you present of aluminium and cast iron examples is not comparing apples with apples. There is no way any sane person would use any abrasive, s/s scrubbies included, on valued aluminium. The process that creates the cast iron we value so highly, has a very hard 'skin', ask any machinist. During manufacture and through their years of use, these pieces were subject to far more vigorous treatment than a 3M Scotch Brite pad mostly with no ill effect. Some haven't done so well and that is often because they were undervalued and suffered abuse and lack of care.
We all have our own way of achieving the same end goal and I agree, anything that might be deemed to be abrasive needs judicious application; except when we are dealing with an item that would otherwise end up as smelter fodder :) .

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »
Cheryl, I think over the years we also get better at scrubbing. I tested the ss scrubbies I use. They are mildy magnetic (some stainless is not). Maybe putting one of those magnets used for cows in the P-trap of the sink would help. Do they still make 'em? All the FFA kids used to bring them to school to show the city kids.

Neodymium magnets are brilliant for removing ferrous items from the P trap. If your waste pipes are the old galv style you may have to resort to the messier alternative ;D
S/s is a generic term used for a range of s/s. I would venture that the s/s scrubbies that have been mentioned on this thread are the lower grade series, no nickel content.
I believe that my electro anode is; it's an old Hoover w/m drum, it is magnetic and only requires a light working with wet n dry every so often to remove the slight oxide stain  that develops over time.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:22:40 PM by james »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »

As a Collector... I will maintain my position that modern day abrasives should not be used in the restoration/preservation of Antique cast iron cookware,

including but not limited to, aluminum oxide abrasives, other sandpapers, etc.

I've seen too much damage inflicted upon collectible pieces by foolish and improper use of abrasive materials.

Totally unnecessary in view of the other methods we have learned to utilize.

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »
Yeah....what James said. We're talking about black iron, not aluminum. And we've all seen the damage that can and does happen with iron in the wrong hands.  You won't find any scratches or other damage from using a worn scothbrite pad on my cast iron with a magnifying glass. No problems seasoning either.  Why are women so stubborn!   :P :P :P  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:58:07 PM by mark21221 »

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »
As a Collector... I will maintain my position that modern day abrasives should not be used in the restoration/preservation of Antique cast iron cookware,
including but not limited to, aluminum oxide abrasives, other sandpapers, etc. I've seen too much damage inflicted upon collectible pieces by foolish and improper use of abrasive materials. Totally unnecessary in view of the other methods we have learned to utilize.

I respect your view Cheryl but it is not the only view; nor is any particular way the quintessential method of restoration.
The key phrase here is
foolish and improper use of abrasive materials
If a person wants to rub cast iron like a demented fiend then they will often suffer the end result; judicious application works best IMO :).
I am not a collector per se, so my approach will be different from others for a variety of reasons. The main one being all my cast iron is for use, not solely for display. I do care, treat and house them well and feed them regularly.... mostly ;)

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
Nicely said James. it's what I was trying to say, only better. And I could also add the possibility that microscopic scratches, if there even are any, could also actually help a coating like seasoning grip to the iron better..many coatings call for "roughing up the surface" for best results. If you need a microscope to see them, I ain't worrying about it.

But wait a minute.. I could get some time.. all to myself..with  food and booze.. down in my man cave w/big screen tv, stereo, computers and a bathroom..and all I gotta do is ruin a cookie sheet?  Why didn't I think of that!   Where's my  grinder! ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:57:01 PM by mark21221 »