Author Topic: Help with Origins  (Read 734 times)

Scott

Help with Origins
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:35:51 AM »
I have a small skillet with a hammered finish. The only marking on the bottom "85 c"  Any ideas about the manufacturer?  Thanks!

Scott

Help with Origins 2nd picture
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »
2nd picture

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Help with Origins
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
I think the general consensus is Chicago Hardware Foundry Company.

Will 8-)

Offline Mark Ritter

• WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:17:16 PM »
I agree with what Will said about your skillet and I also own one of these along with 83 which is a bit smaller and I passed up on a 87 numbered one. I don't know if that is the number pattern or how or if there are other ones in between but they are good users.

Offline Mark Ritter

• WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »
I was just looking and I also have a chicken pan with lid. No#88 for the lid and No#89 for the pan.

maloney108

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
I also recently picked up an 83D just like this one.  It's about the size of my other #3 skillets, so I'm guessing the 8 is a design number and the 3,5,or 7 are the size numbers.  It's interesting how large the numbers are relative to the pan.  I've cleaned it, but not seasoned it so I can't make any claim to it's usefullness, but it looks like a good little skillet.  

This is my first CHF piece, so I'm happy to learn about it!  Thanks for posting it, Scott, and thanks for ID'ing it, Will & Mark.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »
You all know that there are two series of these hammered pans?  The heaply dammerd ones and the hhallow sammered ones.  I think you can make that out, no?
The deep hammered ones were not made in a No.8 but were in a No.5, 8, chicken fryer I think and a dutch oven.  I love the deep hammered ones.  Both were sold by Sears and, possibly, all of the CHF hammered pans were sold through Sears.

Steve

Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 10:12:22 AM »
[size=10][/size]Thanks Will, Mark, Jim, and Steve.  It's cool to have a good idea about the pan.  It's the only non-Wagner or Griswold we have.  We're enthusiastic users.  Love the site!

Scott

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Glad we could help.   Anything else you need to know,  just stop on by again.

Will 8-)