Author Topic: No 9 Griswold Erie Slant 710  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Valerie Johnson

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
No 9 Griswold Erie Slant 710
« on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
I am looking at a Griswold number 9 Slant Logo 710 in very nice looking condition, Has heat ring and ERIE on bottom but no PA USA, What would be a fair price for this skillet?
Sorry no pics yet I did not have a camera handy when I looked at it.

Which is the more common variation of this skillet...the ERIE or the ERIE PA USA
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:01:07 AM by sewingstuff01 »

Offline Adam Hoagland

• I don't collect waffle irons; they just show up.
Re: No 9 Griswold Erie Slant 710
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 04:43:12 PM »
[size=12]It's not so much that one was more common than the other, per se, but that one is an older variation than the other.  The one that says "Erie, PA, USA" (or EPU in blue book lingo) on the bottom is a later version than the one that just says "ERIE" with the slant logo.

Speaking on personal experience, I think that you run into the slant/ERIE more often than the slant/EPU, but it's not like either one is particularly rare.  I've seen more than one style of handle on the slant/ERIE -- the old-style flattened handle similar to the one that appears on a lot of the Griswold's ERIE and inset-ERIE skillets, and a newer-style thicker handle with a longitudinal apex beneath it like you see on the pans with EPU text on them of either logo.  I don't see that so much with the other slant/ERIE pans that I come across; it seems that for whatever reason, they changed handle designs, but then cast a bunch of size 9 skillets before they changed text.  I can post photos if my descriptions aren't very clear.

Someone else is going to have to quote you an opinion on fair price, though.  I'm not buying right now, so I don't know too much about how prices are running, except that they're too rich for me.
[/size]

Offline Anthony Gibson

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »
I am a total novice at vintage cast iron cookware, but I bought  a cast iron lid/skillet combo, and has been easy to find similar Grisswold 1099 A lids, and their values. The lid fits this skillet PERFECT, is nice tight, snug, and doesn't move any when on the skillet as if it is the only lid made for the skillet. But anyways, I can't identify, or find a skillet like this one. It has a raised #9 mark on the handle, but on the back, I do not see any marks. Any hows, if anyone could respond, and give e a ballpark estimate on what this skillet and lid is worth I would appreciate it. I will include pics to this post.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:12:57 PM by anthonygib62 »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Any hows, if anyone could respond, and give e a ballpark estimate on what this skillet and lid is worth I would appreciate it. I will include pics to this post.

Can you post a photo of the bottom of the skillet?