Author Topic: Another #262 CornOrWheat Pan Question  (Read 2368 times)

Thomas_Callaway

Another #262 CornOrWheat Pan Question
« on: November 07, 2003, 05:15:56 PM »
I have a really nice #262 Variation 1 (belongs to a friend) that looks exactly like the one on pg. 120 of the Muffin Pan Book. However when I compare it to the repro in the Blue Book pg.124, the G in Griswold looks like the repro (pointed on the left, instead of srtaight), but the casting is very, very good.

I know it's been asked before, but a search of the form turned up nothing. Which is the real one? Or are both real (straight G and pointy G)?

While I'm at it... he also showed me a Griswold #11 French Roll Pan Variation 8 in real good shape, just needs a few hours in the soup. Aren't these going for a little more than book right now?

I'm not done... A Wagner E Bread Stick Pan with a W- (looks like a makers mark, hand written W with a dash) on the next to the bottom cup and a diamond on the bottom cup. Another nice piece, very clean. Value?

Thanks in advance - TC
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 05:16:35 PM by Thomas_Callaway »

Steve_Stephens

Re: Another #262 CornOrWheat Pan Question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:28:47 PM »
Good questions TC and may be hard to answer.  Any chance of posting a pic of the 262 pan?   Real ones have a thin raised ridge under the end of each handle while most of the fakes have the ridge rather wide.   There are some 262 repros that were cast from an original so they should be very similiar to an original but without the fine casting quality.  I just don't know about the pointy "G" on your friend's pan.   Maybe Griswold had more than one pattern for the 262 and one had a pointy G, one didn't.

I would be surprised if any Griswold No.11 french roll pan is going for more than Haussler's book price being as how he priced most of the pans very high to begin with.   Just guessing I would think that most or all of the 11 pans would be selling for less than book but I could be dead wrong.  Someone else, please.

Can't remember about a w "maker's mark" on an E pan also with a diamond.  For a died in the wool Wagner collector who wanted all versions that might be a nice pan.  On the Wagner E and EE pans you will find some with much larger writing than most (especially on the E I think).  These are the ones that should be worth more than the smaller print versions.  We need a Haussler type book for Wagner with Favorite included.

Steve

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 02:41:29 AM »
Interesting about the various marks on the E pan. A diamond on the thread here, a star on the one in the 1st. ed. Blue book, and the one I have has an iron cross logo on it. Pattern makers marks?
Harry

Offline JR Doffin

• WAGS member
  • Old iron collector
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 04:02:33 AM »
  TC, I just checked my chrome 262 (the one I had in Sidney) and it does have the pointed G. A very fine detailed casting. So Griswold must have had two patterns for the 262.        JR

Thomas_Callaway

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 11:57:31 AM »
Thanks everyone. I tried taking a picture, but I just couldn't get the detail. I'm 90% sure it's real. The grinding marks on the edge look like all the ones I've ever seen on Griswold pieces. The kernals, even the smallest have really good detail. The rim around the handles is thin and uniform. There is no "slag" in the hanging hole. If it's a repro, then it's what my friend calls a "scary reproduction".

Thanks for the info on the other pieces too. If I don't buy these myself I may put them on eBay for him. In that case, I'll definitely go for the other 10% to remove all doubt about authenticity on the #262.

TC

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 12:03:10 PM »
Someone reproing these pans wouldn't go to the trouble or cost to finish grind and polish the top surface as Griswold did and then have them chromed.  You've got to have an original.  Interesting about the pointed G.
Steve