Author Topic: question from a guest  (Read 10447 times)

Offline Darrel Palmquist

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: question from a guest
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 02:05:18 PM »
As Troy stated,  you need a real good connection from the negative rod to your cast iron piece.  I tighten the bolt on my "U" clamp very tight  and I scrape away the crud where the bolt touches so I know I have a good connection

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2003, 02:38:30 PM »
Perry,
your connection is most likely the problem.  I have observed that even when I believe I have a good connection with my negative, it is not a good connection.  I know this when after about 15 seconds at 40 amps, if I don't see bubbles coming from my piece, I got a problem.  Most of the time, it is some carbon between the negative and the piece and I move my clamp.  I have got into the habit of using different sized C clamps from Home Depot to attach to my piece when I then clamp my negative to.  That way my negative clamp to the charger stays out of the soup.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2003, 10:17:07 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful connections. Yes, I said it wrong. The positive goes to the piece that you are trashing and the negative goes to the cast iron. I will check the connections again and see what happens. As to bubbles, the bubbles are going good and you can even hear the bubbles if you listen close, you know like a carbonated beverage. I would have wrote champagne but don't know how to spell it.

Edd_Roberts

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 09:36:25 AM »
Electric is fine, but if it was best, then why do chefs and restaurants use Gas stoves?  Instant on, instant off, and infinitely variable heat is my reply, and low maintenance.

Question:   If the old gas was high sulpher and pitted the bottom of the skillets, and the burner grates were made of cast iron (weren't they?), then why didnt it ruin and destroy  the burner grates?  I dont doubt the sulphur gas answer, just curious?

I agree completely with the advantages of gas cooking you mentioned.  Infinitely variable heat is the biggest plus for me.  Several of the spinners I've encountered had heat marks of an electric burner on them, too so electric burners are probably prone to that kind of hazard, too.

About the old high sulphur gas, I think it did damage the burner grates, as well as the undersides of the plates on flat tops.  I've seen quite a few of the old  restaurant ranges with the cast iron burners and grates replaced with new ones.  I've been wantng a restaurant range for a long time myself, so don't feel lonesome.;-)

Also, as Paul says, a lot of that pitting on the old skillets came from coal burning cookstoves.  My backup range (out in the garage) is a Knox Mealmaster which will burn wood and/or coal.    Another big plus for my gas range is that when we have one of our periodic power outages, I can still cook once I light the burner with my  butane Bic grill lighter.  I have the Knox for even harder times than these, which may come along some day.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:48:59 AM by Edd_Roberts »

JimmyP

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 02:15:04 PM »
We've had a Kitchenaid ceramic cooktop for about 3 years and have no trouble using cast iron skillets on it. You do need to be careful so as not to slide stuff around on the top or it will scratch but this has not been a problem or inconvenience. IMO any pan will scratch a ceramic top if you are careless, not just cast iron. My daughter has one and she and her husband are careless about sliding pans around and their top is scratched but it still works fine.

Offline Rob Di Stasio

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 10:22:31 AM »
M y friend has a glass cooktop with halogen burners, no problem with up to size 10 skillets.

I have an electric cooktop with the older coil type burners and I make perfect waffles with my high based Wagner iron. The base totally encircles the coil.

I was surprised that they work as I expected only a gas flame would be right.

Rob