Author Topic: fire rings  (Read 4446 times)

Offline William Woodward

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
fire rings
« on: December 15, 2003, 05:19:46 PM »
In general do fire rings indicate anything about age?
Where fire rings abandonded at some point in time?

I keep running across this #8 skillet in this one thrift store. It is heavy and the only marking is a number 8 on the bottom. But it does have a fire ring.  Where there any collectable skillets made with fire rings and no other markings.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
Re: fire rings
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 06:06:58 PM »
John,
A gate  mark on the bottom of that #8 skillet would tell more about the age. Sounds like you are in a rut, I would go to another store, that skillet is not going anyplace.
Yes that skillet could be collectable, if there were more known about it.
I bet Steve could give you a better answer, he is an expert on fire rings and of course old skillets. ;D
                                                                        clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.

Offline William Woodward

• WAGS member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 06:59:58 PM »
Thanks Clark

I know that  steve said you can't find too much in the thrift stores. For iron he is mostly right. But what I did was using yahoo I got the address of every thrift store within 15 miles of where I work. I then broke them up into sectors. Each sector has a minimum of 4 stores. So I take my bag lunch get in the car and have a ball. I have been finding some really great stuff other than iron. I am getting addicted to this. For instance the store with the number 8 I pulled a beautiful wagner chicken fryer out of last week.
The ring just got me wondering. It is really dirty but I will look for a gate mark. I tried scraping the darn thing but didn't have much luck. I was reading the lodge thread and am going to check if it has a notchs in the ring.
John

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 09:01:57 PM »
John,
You are in the wrong business whatever it is.  You need to buy yourself an old bus and then sign up people and take them all over visiting thrift (or antiques) shops.  Of course you have to charge them for the bus ride and tour.  Using your computer to find the thrift shops is pretty cool.  Have you lined up a booth in a mall so you can sell all the stuff you are going to quickly accumulate?  Or a big barn to store it in?  Being addicted to this hobby can cause big troubles but with big fun, too.

Fire rings?  No, don't know a thing about them.  But I do know about "heat rings" which are the same thing only with a better name.  A skillet with a heat ring does not mean it's old.  Lodge has always put a heat ring on their pans.  Even some very old, mid-19th century skillets have smooth bottoms without heat rings, although most such pans do have heat rings.

Better ways to estimate ages of skillets and other pieces are by subtle details like pouring lips, handles, casting quality, amount and style of writing on the bottom, "made in USA" (mostly post 1960), etc.  Larger pouring lips (compared to today's baby lips) are a mark of an older skillet.  Some very old pans had huge lips or, usually, a single lip but many did have small lips, too.  Casting quality was usually better and smoother on older pans.  Writing on older pans is larger, deeper, wider, better quality.  All of these things come in time by looking at a lot of iron and making mental notes.  Get the good books if you don't have them (Dave Smith's blue and red books), visit other collectors, go to our convention, and keep asking questions here.
Steve

Offline William Woodward

• WAGS member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks Steve
You are right about one thing. The stuff is starting to collect. Since you are from Carlsbad (I work across the street from UCSD) you will understand. When people ask me why I moved to Temecula I tell them because I really like to drive my car.  Between the commute and kids and work all I have had time for is to pile the stuff up. I do notice a lot of the better stuff I am finding is mysteriously disappearing (where's that american bisque cookie jar honey? What cookie jar?) I love it.

I did notice that this pan had rather large pouring lips.
I have the blue book and am in the process of getting the red book. I have a feeling this is a lodge. I understand that the red book has lodge in it.

You are right for the most part the thrift stores are a poor hunting ground. But you never know what you will find when you open the cupboard.  I think thats what makes it fun.  
As far as judging casting quality I don't yet have a clue. I guess that will come with time and looking at a few hundred pieces or a few thousand.

I am rambling.
Thanks
John

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 07:16:39 AM »
Dear ramblin on John, ramblin ain't such a bad thing. I like to hear what you got to say. We are always looking for new people with new ideas, new questions, and new perspectives. It helps us all learn. I find Steves input very interesting and like to see him weigh in, as he does on most subjects. NOW, when you pass him up John, you are doing something!

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 09:59:59 AM »
I agree with Steve's post except the making of mental notes thing.  ;D That doesn't work for me. I am over 40 now and you know what they say is the first thing to go. I prefer to write those notes and refer back again and again and again.  

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 01:55:40 PM »
Ramblin John,
It's my family who currently live in Carlsbad but I am just north of San Francisco.  The town of Carlsbad used to be very funky before its redevelopement and there were a lot of great antiques shops there.  Never bother to go any more.  And Temecula was also good before the freeway came and brought the hoards of people to that area.   Well, you know that the San Diege area has grown so much in the past 20 years that it is almost unrecognizeable to old timers (of which I'm not).  When you go out constantly looking for antiques you are bound to find some good pieces from time to time.  Probably only 10 years ago I found my rare 3-cup Waterman gem pan in an Escondido antiques mall in a case with a very decent $75 price on it.  That was a goodie for me.  I bought an $915 fan from an ebay seller a few years ago who paid $80 for it at a local thrift shop.  The stuff is out there but you have to recognize it and be the first person who does.
Steve

Offline William Woodward

• WAGS member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 02:37:15 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. Although the cornbread pan that steve showed me reminds me of the first thing to go. I am over 40 also. Do you walk into the other room and wonder what you went in there to get? Ha
I hate when that happens.

As far as getting new people into the CI hobby I think that this website and the willingness of the people on the board to share knowledge sure does a lot to encourage it.

Todays lunch is going to be great. I found a strip mall in poway that has 6 thrift stores and a antique shop.

Thanks
Rambling John

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 03:15:55 PM »
Do they actually let you in the store while you are gobbling your lunch?  Don't know how you can get very far in San Diego area with all the traffic.  I remember when the roads were almost vacant.  I-5, when I first saw it in 1976, was two lanes of traffic with 8 lanes to chose from.  Now it's 10 lanes with the same 8 lanes to choose from.  God took all his landsacping home with him to be replaced with man's landscaping placed on top of bulldozed land.  Hope you find some goodies.  Keep at it and you will.  Maybe you can make some contacts on your rounds who will let you know when something come into the thrift shop or they see something.
Steve

Offline William Woodward

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 05:38:50 PM »
The traffic at lunch is not to bad. In the morning is another story. You are right about the growth. Thats what  driven the real estate insane. I have been to San Francisco once. I understand that north of there is very beautiful. I have family in Oregon and next summer come H*ll or high water I am going to rent a RV and do the coast road all the way to oregon. I was supposed to do it this summer but it was always one more project. The kids will be grown before I know it and I will have missed it all.

I finally went and picked up that wagner #9 skillet with the plain 0 and no pattern number. It is nice. I also found this wierd skillet(thing) no markings very heavy very rusted. If I had to guess I would say its a egg poacher. Not sure. It was cheap so if nothing else I can use it as a hammer or a anchor.  Could just be a modern piece of rust.

Rambling John