Author Topic: Newbie confused by double skillet  (Read 1987 times)

drawlings

Newbie confused by double skillet
« on: February 09, 2004, 08:09:24 PM »
Got my first Griswold today...a #5 EPU.  A work of art.   I think I'm hooked.  

Looking at items for sale, I see double skillets and "hinged skillets" (which may be one-half of the double?)...my question is, what kind of cooking requires a double stacked skillet?  Looks like a skillet with a lid or a dutch oven would be adequate for any task.  

I remember my grandmother in Oklahoma wringing two chicken's necks simultaneously, but I never saw her fry with two skillets at one time.  

Dave Rawlings

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
Re: Newbie confused by double skillet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »
Welcom Dave to the FORM. Double Skillets are great, you can (or I ) the bottom sk. to fry potatoes in and the top to fry eggs. Or you can cook a small  ;D two headed chicken, like you would in a Dutch Oven. Thay make a good 3 piece set. I love the Wagner ware 5 star double skillet, the handles are so different, and fit together so  well.
                      Clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Re: Newbie confused by double skillet
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:08:41 PM »
David,
A double skillet set is a bottom skillet that is 3" deep and has a slotted tab to accept a hinged lid.  The hinged top skillet is a regular depth skillet and is designed as a lid for the bottom ( deep) skillet.  It can be used as a lid or another separate skillet, hence the name double skillet.  And yes, it would also serve as a dutch oven, but dutch ovens were at least 4" deep or deeper..

They also made regular depth skillets with the slotted tab that used a regular shaped lid with the hinged feature so you didnt have to find a place to set the lid if you wanted to see what you were cooking.  These are just called hinged lid skillets.  Hope this helps and someone else can probably explain it better.

PS....If you dont have on I'd recommend you getting the blue cover Book of Griswold & Wagner by Smith & Wafford...it shows the skillets you are asking about and much more. They can be purchased at several of the links shown on this site.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 09:13:35 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry