Author Topic: griswold's erie #11 griddle 2434  (Read 4440 times)

lowball

griswold's erie #11 griddle 2434
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »
i just have a #11 2434 griddle marked griswold's erie with slant logo emblem  next to it only the one i have does not have the reinforcement on the back like the one in the blue book doe this mean it's an earlier version ? if so any idea on the circa and value?
 thanks

Steve_Stephens

Re: griswold's erie #11 griddle 2434
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 01:56:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dennis,
You've given us a hard question.  Not many of these boat anchors (they're HEAVY) are around so not too many to compare from.

Are the handles on your griddle open or closed with a small hole in one end?  The open handle is the earlier one I would think from looking at other griddles in the red and blue books.  Griswold may not have changed the No.11 griddle pattern as often as they did with the larger production smaller griddles so an older design may have been made later than for the smaller griddles.  If your griddle has the solid type handles I would venture to guess it is later than the one with the reinforcing ribs.  I say this because the later block TM long griddles have no reinforcing on the bottom while the earlier diamond TM No.7 griddle (blue book p. 58 center) does have the rinforcing.  This is only a guess and not for certain.  The date for your pan could be anywhere from c.1909 to c. mid20's or even later.  Again, a guess due to the fact that No.11 griddles are so uncommon.  I've never owned one for fear that my house would collapse and my stove wouldn't hold it.  Value?  Don't know at all.
Steve
PS  I modified your profile so your real name appears on your post.  That's required so we all know who we are talking to.

lowball

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 11:45:01 AM »
HI STEVE,THE 11 GRIDDLE HAS SOLID HANDLES AND A HOLE ON ONE END AND AS I WROT EARLIER THE SLANT LOGO NEXT TO GRISWOLD'S ERIE MY GUESS WAS IT WAS AN EARLIER ONE UNDER THE ASSUMTION THEY MIGHT OF HAD A PROBLEM WITH WARPING SO THEY ADDED REINFORCEMENT BUT IM NOT SURE SO I AM HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 12:17:01 PM »
I'm not sure anyone will ever know if your griddle is earlier or later.  I see that the ERIE long griddles have no reinforcing ribs then the diamond ERIE griddles do along with some GRISWOLD'S ERIE ones and slant/E ones.  I think the slant/EPU ones do not have the ribs (can't get to the one I have to check now).  If Griswold used the same No.11 pattern without fully changing the markings to the next style, they may still have modified it enough to remove the ribs.  Already, with the GRISWOLD'S ERIE and the slant TM it would seem that the pattern was modified once but without removing hte older(?) GRISWOLD'S ERIE markings.
Steve

Offline Paul Baker

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 06:52:40 PM »
dennis   i have a no 2343 no 11 griddle like the one you have but i have one that is a no 11 p/n 911 that is the same handles with one hole in the handle with a small logo  whitch i belive is later    paul

Offline Bob Logan

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 09:54:51 PM »
I have the exact griddle that you have. It says Griswold's Erie with a slant logo. It's really nice but really heavy. When I cleaned it up I could not season it because it would not fit in my oven! It's just oiled and hanging from a nail in the wall. The prices on these are all over the place. I paid $75 for mine 2 years ago but I've seen other #11's (mainly small logo) sell anywhere from $50 to $150. It's all based on how much somebody wants one. You can list it on ebay and see what it gets for you. Bob