Author Topic: sidney hollow ware mfg  (Read 7894 times)

lowball

sidney hollow ware mfg
« on: March 06, 2004, 12:48:02 PM »
i found a skillet marked sidney o and abouve it its marked sidney hollow ware mfg co my question is when wagner bought the company did they still make sidney hollow ware? and when they sold it back did phillip smith continue to make holow ware and if so how long?...im trying to find out how old this skillet is

Steve_Stephens

Re: sidney hollow ware mfg
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 11:07:06 PM »
Dennis,
Do you have the "blue book"?  That has a section on Sidney Hollow Ware.  The script SIDNEY is the older of the two markings with the block style "SIDNEY HOLLOW WARE CO." being newer but, I think, still before Wagner bought them.  That I am not sure of however and I have wondered myself what Phillip Smith did and made after buying the company back.  I think the history in the blue book leaves out some interesting and needed details.  It's my belief that Wagner pans that are marked only "SIDNEY" on the bottom but are, otherwise, identical to pieces marked WAGNER   SIDNEY are the ones made by Wagner in the Hollow Ware foundry.  But, again, that may not be the real truth.  I just don't have the answers you are looking for.   I think your skillet is probably c. 1890's.
Steve

lowball

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 02:09:03 AM »
HI STEVE AND THANKS FOR YOU INSIGHT,I AGREE THE TWO BOOKS LEAVE OUT INFO ABOUT THE SIDNEY HOLLOW WARE CO AND WHAT WERE THE SKILLETS MARKED THAT CAME FROM THE HOLLOW WARE PLANT WHEN WAGNER BOUGHT THEM.IT MAKES SENSE ABOUT THE SKILLETS MARKED SIDNEY BEING SUCH A PRODUCT.
AS FAR AS VALUE DO THESE SKILLET HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN WAGNERS?I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY ON E-BAY OR COME ACROSS ANY IN ANTIQUE STORES,I FOUND THIS ONE IN A THRIFT STORE AND PAID 3.50 FOR IT. THE BOOK ONLY SHOW A FEW ITEMS AND THE SKILLET I HAVE THE SIDNEY HOLLOWARE MFG SEEMS TO BE HIGHER THAN THE SKILLETS SHOWN ,ITS JUST BELOW THE HEAT RING.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 02:35:50 AM »
AS FAR AS VALUE DO THESE SKILLET HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN WAGNERS?

Maybe alittle compared to the run of the mill Wagners.   I just picked up a #10 Sidney Hollow Ware off Ebay for $31.00    There is alittle Sidney Hollow Ware on Ebay at times.   $3.50,  I would have bought it.   Is it a #8,  worth about $15-20 on Ebay.

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

lowball

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 02:47:09 AM »
MINE IS A #9 WITH A NICKLE FINISHED HANDLE THE REST DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE NICKLED BUT HAS ADIFFERENT FINISH THAN NORMAL CAST IRON

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 05:24:26 AM »
WAGS members will have a treat for themselves in a little while.  We are having some reprints made for the members to purchase at a "significantly" reduced cost.  These reprints will be catalogues that are not available anywhere, except via WAGS.  One of them is a 1906 Sidney catalogue (or maybe it was 1904, I just don't remember and the original is at the printers now).
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 11:28:46 AM »
There is a Sidney Hollow Ware flat bottom kettle in a store here. It is nickle plated #8 and appears to be in good condition. I had one once, and it didnt get much attention on Ebay.
Jerry

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 12:46:51 PM »
I have a Sidney Hollow Ware FBK too,  got it at a flee market.   He had Wagner stuff at twice the price.  But the S.H.W. FBK was cheap.($10.00 I think)

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 05:43:28 PM »
Greg, Do you mean 1894 or 1896? In the blue book it states Sidney sold out to Wagner in 1897 so I would think there would not be a catalogue issued in 1904 or 1906 for Sidney. That is unless Wagner continued making a Sidney line. Just some food for thought.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 01:12:46 AM »
Dennis,
Nickel plated iron is relatively common from the early Wagner and Sidney Hollow Ware companies; i.e. the 1890's.  What's nice about this early nickeled ware is that it was polished all over before being nickeled, but left black iron on the inside cooking surface.
Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 05:42:10 PM »
I'm drawing from memory, so I'm not positive on dates, but it contains only Sidney items.

Greg, Do you mean 1894 or 1896? In the blue book it states Sidney sold out to Wagner in 1897 so I would think there would not be a catalogue issued in 1904 or 1906 for Sidney. That is unless Wagner continued making a Sidney line. Just some food for thought.

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.