Author Topic: "Rings like a bell"    (cracks)  (Read 2157 times)

Steve_Stephens

"Rings like a bell"    (cracks)
« on: March 20, 2004, 02:31:28 PM »
A little education for us all:
We've all seen sellers say "rings like a bell" to assure us that the item is not cracked.  But don't always believe that because I just took a slant/E No.10 skillet out of the lye bucket which rang both before and after being cleaned.  But the pan has a hefty hairline crack by one of the lips.  I have seen it quite a few times before where a pan will have a crack and ring clearly.  So that may be an indication that a pan isn't cracked but it isn't proof.  I even looked over this skillet I bought at a flea marked (cheap) and couldn't see the crack.  Buyers and sellers beware on dirty items as you may not be able to tell that it is cracked.  Probably most of the time a cracked piece will give a good rattle when tapped and, then, you KNOW it is cracked.  But you can't KNOW you won't find a crack if it "rings true".

Steve
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 09:49:52 PM by Steve_Stephens »

Thomas_Callaway

Re: "Rings like a bell"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:31:01 PM »
How right you are Steve. Had that happen on an early Wapak #6 so I had to replace it. In fact, it rings truer at the crack (about an inch from one pouring spout) than it does on the bottom, which ain't cracked! I can't blame the seller either because it was well hidden under only a thin coating of gunk.

BTW, I have these early Wapaks in #5 through #12. Does anyone know if there are other sizes? Never seen any others on eBay and the Blue Book shows only these as well.

TC

moosejaw

Re: "Rings like a bell"    (cracks)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 05:22:07 AM »
Steve,

I have found the same to be true.....bought a Scotch bowl that has a lovely ring to it.  It has two holes drilled into the bottom, and has a one inch crack near the bail ears.  But it still rings like a bell.  Go figure.  :P

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 10:54:46 AM »
I've always thought the "ring test" was an old wives (or husbands) tale since Ive rarely held a cracked piece that didn't have a sweet ring to it. If your lucky enough to catch the crack just right then it will sound funny but trusting a skillet to ring true if it's not cracked is like cooking wild mushrooms and throwing a silver coin in the pot to tell if there are any poison ones in there. Not a good test in either case.
Harry

Dimlock

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 02:47:14 PM »
I'll agree that it is not a definitive test, but it sure helped me recently.  I got a #6 dutch oven, and it was described as having no cracks.  I looked the oven over for a minute or so when I recieved it, and saw nothing amiss (in fact, it was Beautiful).  When I tapped it, though, you could sure hear the buzzing or grating of the edges of the crack.  It was a very tight hairline, about an inch long on the lid.  I returned it with no problems.

I think that it couldn't hurt to give it a rap before buying, if you have it in hand.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 03:02:06 PM by Dimlock »