Author Topic: Erie Spider Logo  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Erie Spider Logo
« on: March 20, 2004, 12:08:27 PM »
Simple Question:
Does anyone know why a spider was picked for a logo (or mascot  :D) on erie pieces?....Anything in any old literature or folk lore?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:09:56 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Steve_Stephens

Re: Erie Spider Logo
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 12:43:21 PM »
Wild guess;  Griswold was making spiders (which is what early skillets were often called) so included on in their TM.  I think other guesses might be just as valid.  In other words, I really have no idea other than my guess.
Steve

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 09:23:53 PM »
K&C Vol 1 No 2 Page 7 tells the story. Bulletin A States like the little spider brought him success so does Griswold cookware to it's user. Scottish King Robert Bruce finally won success in getting rule form England because he watched a spider struggle so he continued to do so and prevailed in the early 1300's.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 05:44:06 PM »
K&C Vol 1 No 2 Page 7 tells the story. Bulletin A States like the little spider brought him success so does Griswold cookware to it's user. Scottish King Robert Bruce finally won success in getting rule form England because he watched a spider struggle so he continued to do so and prevailed in the early 1300's.

Troy,
Does that mean that if you bought an Erie Spider skillet you could continue the struggle of trying to cook and finally succeed?   [smiley=hyper.gif] [smiley=hyper.gif]
Jerry

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 08:44:40 AM »
I suppose?

Do a google search for "robert bruce spider" and you'll see the legend. The movie braveheart is a take off of this story. The Griswold Bulletin actuallly references Robert Bruce.

Pretty cool stuff.

Now go struggle with those skillets.