Author Topic: Attic storage of iron cookware  (Read 3065 times)

Steve_Stephens

Attic storage of iron cookware
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:25:09 PM »
On the G&CICA message board there is a new post about storing iron cookware in an attic.  A response takes into account excessive heat.  In some instances attic storage may be ok but, under certain conditions like I have, the attic storage resulted in the pieces rusting and requiring re-restoration.

Early on in my collecting I stored a bunch of stuff in my one story house small attic that is connected by a small open doorway to my garage.  After an unknown, but not very long, time I looked at the iron one day only to find that it was rusting all over.  Condensation seems to have been the problem.  The iron would get quite cold at night (in the 30 to 40 degree range).  In the morning the air temperature would quickly rise but the iron, holding in its cold for much longer than the surrounding air, would get condensate on it and that's what caused the rust.  No more iron in my attic.  

Wish I could answer that guy over at the G&CICA site with this better infomation but, having been banned from posting there I guess it won't happen.  Anyway, wherever you plan to store your iron, take into account the possibility of condensation which can happen if the iron is many degrees colder than the surrounding air and does not warm up at the same rate as the air.

Steve

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Re: Attic storage of iron cookware
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 05:54:25 PM »
I'm pretty dense I guess, but in the reply he got about storage in his attic, and that the heat would not hurt the iron, I wondered why he was cautioned to store it flat?
Jerry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 10:27:55 PM »
It must be the plastic properties of cast iron when it gets hot like in an attic.  
Steve

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 10:44:01 PM »
It must be the plastic properties of cast iron when it gets hot like in an attic.  
Steve

Hard for me to believe an attic would get hot enough to make cast iron soft?.....sure aint as hot as a stove burner?....if it was, house would be gone..  [smiley=hyper.gif]
Jerry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 10:47:24 PM »
Yeah Jerry, gets real soft like taffy in a hot attic.  Naw, just pullin your leg.  Store flat, sideways, piled high, upside down, hanging, sitting or whatever.  Just don't let the condensation get to it.
Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 10:49:38 PM »
Lee, has an amazing way with his words.  Sounds almost like Steve. :D
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 11:32:13 PM »
Hey, that's not me putting the post up on the G&CICA site.  Someone is taking my good info and shipping it over to the other site.  At least it should get to the collector who needs the information so I won't go after Lee whoever he be.
Steve

Offline John Knapp

• I BUY 2 MUCH IRON
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 08:32:51 AM »
 So, I ain't the only one who picked up on "Lee"..  More than one way to skin the cat.
John
John