Author Topic: Miami  (Read 2062 times)

Clark_B.

Miami
« on: March 30, 2004, 11:24:28 PM »
Saw a couple of skillets marked with Miami in a diamond today.  Anyone got any info on them?  Could they be possible Piqua, OH (Miami County) products?  

I'm just full of questions lately ;)

Steve_Stephens

Re: Miami
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:40:58 AM »
I'm just full of questions lately ;)

You are tiring us out Clark; keep the good questions coming.  I'm glad you are asking.

Miami skillets are sometimes seen (later versions) with the Favorite Piqua Ware logo in addition to just Miami in the diamond.  These are both a lower cost line of skillets, sizes 7, 8, and 9 only, that are slightly smaller and shallower than the usual skillets.  Same as Griswold made in their Victor line, Wagner's National skillets, and Wapak's Oneta line.   The quality is not any less than these companie's regular line and most of the pans are not worth a lot more than the regular pans.  Exceptions:  Griswold's Nos. 5 and 6 Victor skillets which are hard to find and worth big $.  Some of these pans were nickel plated including some Miami skillets.  And those skillets do get their name from Miami County where Favorite Stove & Range is located in Piqua, Ohio.

Steve

Clark_B.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 01:06:35 AM »
That is so cool.  I pick my son up at Piqua, OH.  Next time I'm there I think I'll take a drive around town and see what I can find.

moosejaw

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 02:58:08 AM »
Steve,

If the quality is not any less, than what is the difference between their regular lines, and their low cost lines?  Just a marketing gimick?  

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 11:44:56 AM »
Supposedly these companies made these cheaper pans to compete with lesser quality pans from other makers.  They were a little smaller so would have cost a bit less to ship but I think that they just picked up a little more business and made a little less profit on the Victor type skillets.  The Victor waffle irons did not have some of the features that the "real" Griswold waffle irons did.  Same with the National waffle irons from wagner.  I don't recall any Miami or Oneta waffle irons.
Steve