Author Topic: Griswold Grill Pan  (Read 10128 times)

Cookin_Mom

Griswold Grill Pan
« on: July 06, 2004, 03:54:49 PM »
Would appreciate some information on the Griswold Grill pan. It has ridges on the cooking surface and a number 9 on the handle. When was this pan made? Is it a good cooking pan? Finally, what is fair price?  :)

Sue Janousek

Steve_Stephens

Re: Griswold Grill Pan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 10:17:30 PM »
Sue,
That is what was called by "Griswold" and Angus Broiler.  One is shown in a 1974 catalog sheet I have and that's during the period that General Housewares Corp owned both Griswold and Wagner with production of all products in the Wagner foundry.  The broiler is based on a Griswold style pattern but I am not aware of Griswold having made such a pan when in Erie, PA.

These stovetop broilers work very well for steaks, chops, chicken, fish, or whatever.  No jello please.   Originally designed c.1930 by Alan Axford who died in 1989 at 91 years old and lived about 5 miles from me.  His Axford foundry was the Mission Foundry and Stove Works in San Francisco.   I've never been clear whether they made some of the "Axford Broilers" (in three sizes) or if they parceled out all or some production to Lodge (they did) and Wagner (later production).   Early Axford Broilers are marked Pat. Pend. on the handle.  Later ones Pat. 1931.  Later ones marked Broil-Rite Broiler on bottome.  Also, the later pans including many 1931 dated ones have an opposite side handle to aid in picking up these heavy pans.   No opposite side handle on the Axford Jr. pans which are about a size 6-1/2.   The very large Axford Broiler is very rare and I've seen only one that was marked.

Directions for use:  "Place pan on stove top and get it VERY HOT.  USE NO GREASE.  Put meat in pan and reduce flame.  If pan smokes excessively, flame is TOO HIGH.  Do not cover meat.  Chicken may be covered after searing on both sides."

A cover was made for the standard or 11" size of the Axford Broiler to turn the pan into a double skillet type of pan.  A cover was also made for the Jr. pan but it is not highly marked as is the standard cover.

I'd suggest you go for a nice, older Axford but the "Griswold" one should make food taste just the same and, actually, it is a nice casting too.  You didn't really want to know all this, did you?

Steve

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:51:53 PM »
The very large Axford Broiler is very rare and I've seen only one that was marked.

Really?   I have the set just like the one in the red book.   Is that the one you are refering to?   Can't find my red book to point out the page number,  bad me :(.

I peiced the two together off of Ebay.  Didn't cost an arm and a leg.   But then again,  rare don't=$$$$

Heavy??  oh ya!!!!  A brick!!

Will P.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 01:05:10 AM »
That's the 11" and most common size.   The "big" Axford I saw was about a No.12 size skillet.   Pgs. 225-227 red book shows Axford Broilers but not the biggie.

Steve

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:16:57 AM »
Man,  that "big" one would have to weigh about 20lbs.   As the 11" that I have is very heavy.

Thanks for the info Steve.

Will P.

Cookin_Mom

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:37:30 AM »
Thanks for all the information.

Steve, I like learning the history about the pans. Hmm. May have to reconsider and go for a Wagner Grill pan #9--sounds like it would be easier to work with weight wise. Is the Wagner good cooking pan?

In your opinion when did the quality of the cast iron change in both Griswold and Wagner manufacturing? I buy for cooking purposes. I know you have probably answered this question before. I thought I read somewhere on the website that the Wagner 1891 line is not the same quality as early pans--pre 1940. I would like to have some idea so if I run across a pan at a garage sale or flea market I know what not to buy. Thanks for the help.

Sue Janousek

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:25:33 PM »
Sue,
The later pans from Griswold and Wagner were not nearly so finely cast as earlier ones from the mid 1950's and before.  Wagner's 1891 line is clunky and not well finished or cast.  I'd stay away from them.  Some of them are ground on the insides like most of the early iron skillets and other pieces but many are left with an "as-cast" rough surface as is the case with many of the modern Lodge.  You can always find much better iron cookware in the older pans from Griswold, Wagner, Lodge, etc.  Look for smooth, fine castings.  I like them lighter in weight but that may be a personal preference.  Look for very flat bottoms with little crown or bow.  Check for cracks.  A pan with a fine hairline crack may still be perfectly serviceable but the value is very low with a crack.

I'm  not sure the Wagner grill pan is any lighter than the Axfords.  Many Axfords have the opposite side handle to help in lifting plus it is a much older pan and the original.  That's why I favor them but their casting quality is somewhat variable and the Wagner may be better?

Why don't you get a copy of The Book of Griswold and Wagner (blue book) so you can learn some histories and what's been made.  You can then slowly acquire the pans you like to use and have the very best for the rest of your life.  There is really NO reason to purchase an newer iron cookware unless you like the new LeCreuset type of porcelaized type of iron cookware.

Steve