Author Topic: Another Favorite piece  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
  • WagnerWare the other cast iron!
Another Favorite piece
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:45:59 PM »
This weekend I picked up a Favorite deep skillet, fine thin casting nice weight. It was marked 81/2 I've never seen that before . A Wagner 1081 lid fits it but not very well. Anybody
familiar with this piece ??? ??? [smiley=yes.gif]
Brian

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Another Favorite piece
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 06:06:01 PM »
I can't remember if a Favorite 8 or 9 lid goes on there.   One of the two is the correct lid.   Favorite didn't have an 8 1/2 lid for that piece.

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 07:24:02 PM »
Brian, I believe I have extra Favorite 8 and 9 lids.  I'd have to check for sure.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

moosejaw

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 08:51:32 PM »
Hey Greg,

I have a Favorite Skillet, marked on the back

FAVORITE
PIQUA
WARE
THE BEST TO COOK IN

Would one of those lids fit this one?  I don't want to preempt Brian, so if he is not interested, I would be if it would fit this skillet.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 06:31:18 AM »
Thought I made a post last night on this thread but I guess not,  hmmmmmmm

Brian measure the inside diameter of your piece.  I have a Favorite lid that is marked 8 1/2 B (at least that is how it looks in the light in one direction).

The other FAVORITE lids I have are brand new unused nickel plated and on new unused (sticker in place) #9 and #10 skillets, which are also nickel plated.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 11:59:45 AM »
Thought I made a post last night on this thread but I guess not,
The other FAVORITE lids I have are brand new unused nickel plated and on new unused (sticker in place) #9 and #10 skillets, which are also nickel plated.

Greg,
I think your missing post is under the other Favorite post by Troy about his waffle iron.

Are your nickeled skillets and lids Favorite Piqua or Favorite Cookware Chicago?  Sounds like a nice pair.  Can you post a photo or two of them??

Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »
oops sorry for the dups.

they are skillets and lids from Favorite of Piqua.  Neat pieces and I've not seen many pieces like this from them.

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 07:29:15 PM »
Greg,
The # 81/2 deep skillet is 101/2 inches ID ...
Question I found a #81/2 lid in my stash that I assumed was Vollrath (you know the boken rings on the underside)
does your Favorite lid have those rings. My Vollrath lid fits the pan perfect but I would not want a marriage if possible
If your lid fits e-mail me and lets work out a price could you put up a photo... now I'm really confused [smiley=stars.gif] [smiley=hyper.gif] [smiley=yes.gif]
Thanks
Brian

moosejaw

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:01:56 AM »
I am curious about the markings of the Favorite Skillets.  Brian, you state your's is marked with an 8 1/2?  Mine has just an 8.  Was this common for Favorite?  To mark both 8 and 8 1/2?  I agree with you on the casting.....mine is just beautiful.  Just as smooth as my Griswolds.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 07:17:33 AM »
Brian,
I just measured mine last night and it is 8 9/16, so it is going to be a hair too big, as these lids have the "supports" that fit into the skillet.

Darn, just remembered that I forgot to take pix of the chromed pieces.  Too busy these days.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:51:31 PM by admin »

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 11:37:45 AM »
Greg,
I'm not surprised at the minor size difference My fully top marked Wagner #10 skillet lid will NOT fit the smooth bottom #10 1062 skillet but will fit the 1062 skillet w/ fire ring. These minor differences drive us all crazy [smiley=stars.gif]
Thanks
Brian

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »
I am curious about the markings of the Favorite Skillets.  Brian, you state your's is marked with an 8 1/2?  Mine has just an 8.  Was this common for Favorite?  To mark both 8 and 8 1/2?  

I think it is only the deep skillet marked 8-1/2 while the regular skillets are marked the regular way.  The 8-1/2's are pretty common but I don't know what markings, if any, the covers have.  I have an early skillet or two with a half size on them.  In one case the only difference between it and the smaller size is the diameter of the heat rim.  Pans are identical in size otherwise.  The Favorite half size has nothing to do with the heat rim size but probably was used because the top diameter of a deep skillet is larger than that for a regular skillet.
Steve

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 10:51:29 PM »
I had a Favorite# 8-1/2 deep skillet , but sold it because the bottom was bowed down. One of those ebay deals. I kept the lid which is marked #8-1/2 B and I have a #9 Favorite lid. They both fit the deep# 8-1/2 skillet and they both fit my Favorite #9 and #9 Favorite Miami. Outside dimension on the tabs that fit in the skillet is 10-5/8" on both covers.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

moosejaw

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 11:38:15 PM »
Thanks for that info Steve.  Makes sense.  

I would be curious about the dates of these pans in conjunction with the Trademarks.  From what I have observed, the TM (Logos) changed.  I have seen block writing, stylized writing in an arched TM, and the block writing with the addition of "The best to cook in."