Author Topic: Let's talk about Puritan again.  (Read 6951 times)

Troy_Hockensmith

Let's talk about Puritan again.
« on: August 17, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »
 I saw a waffle iron this weekend that is the Griswold  make with the paddle saying Griswold on one side and Puritan on the other.
The catch is it didn't have the wooden handles like the ones I have seen and it also had the patent date on the Puritan side of the paddle.
Is this Alaskan type handle (wound wire) just an indication of age. I've only seen a few but it is the first I have seen without wooden handles.

Variations in this hobby can drive you nuts!!!!!

Steve_Stephens

Re: Let's talk about Puritan again.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 09:39:14 PM »
It likely is the age Troy.  Do you remember the pattern numbers on the two irons?  885/886 or something else like 314/315?  Were the small tits on the irons at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions or at 4 and 8 o'clock which would be a later iron and probably have the wire handles.  I think the irons with the curved wood handles do  not have a patent date on the irons.
Steve

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:32:28 AM »
I didn't look at the PN as it had a pretty good coating of seasoning. The tabs were 4 and 8 though.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:47:04 AM »
The tabs were 4 and 8 though.

That's probably why the wire handles since this would be a later iron.  I am pretty sure that I have seen many Puritan irons with the wire handles.
Steve

moosejaw

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 07:13:12 AM »
NIBS, Steve, NIBS!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 07:50:37 AM »
No Marty NO! A nib is a small bite of something. You know like, "hey honey, how about a nib of that steak you're eating?" You know nib, short for nibble. A tit on the other hand is a small protruding object that sticks out, like on a waffle iron.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:39:23 AM »
NIBS??  You've lost me there Marty.
Steve

moosejaw

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 04:08:52 AM »
Okay, let's call them cylindrical projections.....they are cylindrical in shape, and they project from the side of the waffle iron.  Tits sounds very crude, and by Webster's definition, doesn't fit.  I concede that my initial suggestion (nibs) is not appropriate by definition either.  

Offline Ron Acker

• I like old Wagner Iron!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 05:48:35 AM »
Steve,
I have a Griswold (both sides) 314/315 with the "nibs" at the 4 & 8 position with wood handles. I am a little confused about the "nibs" position and handle types.

Ron

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 07:45:51 AM »
Perry: nibs is not short for nibble. nib or plural nibs is the noun form. nibble is a verb. Lets see, I shall have nibbled on a nib.
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 09:20:55 AM »
C.B. While it is true that nibble is a verb, nib is a noun. I was only using it in a slang sense.

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 09:37:07 AM »
ahhhhh, so the commoners can understand. Now I open up a can of worms.
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 11:30:13 AM »
I thought the projections that stop the waffle iron paddles from turning any further should be called stops.  
Harry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »
Or nubs or stubs...

Ron, I have seen Griswold waffle irons with wood handles that are later than would have commonly came with wood handles.  All that I can think is that the irons could be ordered by the stores selling them with wood handles if desired.  Or, less likely, a later replacement.  I don't see any advantages to the wood handles after having used both types for many years.
Steve

Offline Ron Acker

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 12:43:52 PM »
Steve,
Thanks, I do know from removing the wood handles to clean the paddles that the threads are there to install the wire handles.
Ron

moosejaw

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 01:46:27 AM »
Thanks Harry, for reminding us of the appropriate term.  I now recall stops being used to describe those projections on the sides of the paddles.  

Ron,

I never thought about the possibility of replacing the wood handles with the wire handles.  I do have several wood handles that unscrew, and is it your contention that the wire handles can screw into where the wood ones were?  I was unaware of that possibility.  I prefer the wood handles; just personal preference.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 11:58:36 AM »
Marty,
Are you talking about GRISWOLD waffle iron handles or in more general terms?  On later Griswold waffle irons the BOTTOM of the handle socket is drilled and threaded to accept the handle eyebolt.  Earlier irons don't have this.  Griswold's wood handles never unscrew from the socket; they are just pushed in and held in with a small nail.  For other makes of waffle irons with wood handles I doubt that there is any provision to replace with wire handles.  Possibly on some Wagners?
Steve

moosejaw

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 10:07:12 PM »
Perhaps you are right, Steve.  I guess I was thinking of some of the Wagner paddles I have unscrewed the wood handles from.  Others I have taken a nail out of.  I wasn't thinking of which one did what.  Thanks for straightening me out.  You learn something new everyday with cast iron.  

Offline Ron Acker

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 09:17:38 PM »
Marty,
Steve hit it right on the nail about what I was talking about the Griswold handles. The Wagner's handles I have taken apart are not in a change able.

Ron