Author Topic: Unidentified skillets  (Read 3616 times)

Norm

Unidentified skillets
« on: August 22, 2004, 03:15:47 PM »
I found two skillets but don't know what kind they are....
1.)  8 on top of the handle with the letter V on the bottom of the handle.  There's also a mark that looks like you could insert a screw-driver near the V but of course there's nothing to turn.  If you're familiar with this I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  I believe it said "8 1/3 inch Skillet"(not sure about the 1/3) &  "Made in the USA" on bottom under underneath the pan.  I'm guessing the "V" stands for Vintage?

2.)  3 on handle and 3 on bottom underneath the pan.  It also has a heat ring.

Any ideas what kind of skillets these are?  They were like $10 and $5 each.  Are they worth the price(s)

thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:56:42 PM by Norm »

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
Re: Unidentified skillets
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 08:25:06 PM »
Patrick: I am a griswold collector and like to cook. Cast iron skillets (and other items) come in a vast difference of casting qualities. The interior of most Griswold skillets have what Griswold called "extra finish", this was a final buffing or light grinding to smooth the inside making it easier to clean and to season which makes it almost stick proof when cooking. Any make with a good casting and fairley smooth interior will make a good "cooker". At $5 or $10 you got a good buy if only as a cooker. Clean them up and re season in necessary and enjoy them.
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 10:15:40 PM »
Patrick,
Your No.8 pan sounds like it may be a later Wagner.  The "V" on the bottom is probably just a pattern letter denoting which of several patterns was used to cast your particular pan.  These letters are of no collector consequence.  The No.3 pan I can't tell.  Photos might help if you can post them here.

C.B.,
I have thought that "extra finished" was not the grinding on the cooking or inside of Griswold's pans but was just their overall better casting and finishing.  Their 1890-91 catalog mentions "extra finished" on everything that is ground on the inside.  But pieces that are left "as cast" are marked "extra smooth light casting".  Guess I have to almost agree with your thinking after doing this little bit of research.  So maybe "extra finished" does refer to the grinding.  Whatta ya know?
Steve
I have to backpedal here.  Looked at Griswold's Catalog No.45 c.1915.  In addition to all pages of iron which is polished on the inside being labeled "extra finished", so are all the pages for tea kettle, gem pans, long griddle, bundt pan, and others.  These piece have no polishing.  I think the jury still has to reach a verdict as I just don't know EXACTLY what "extra finished" refers to.
Steve
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 10:24:26 PM by Steve_Stephens »

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 12:23:12 AM »
Others have helped with the first one.   The second one,  when you hold the #3 pan in your hand.   Is the 3 on the bottom of the pan sideways with a line under it or a dot after the 3?  If so it is Vollrath.

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 04:59:17 AM »
Like CB said, there is a difference! Cooked with my first Griswold recently. Clean up just like Teflon compared to those on the market today ;D. Compare an old flour sack to satin ;)
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 10:46:37 AM »
Steve: That catalog was what made my mind up about 20 years ago. I know extra finished didn't mean enameled or porceloned. That (grinding) is about the only "extra" they were doing then. So, for many years I have thought "extra finished" meant the final grinding they did, unlike other manufacturers. I think the process of elemination has this almost a fact. C B
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:47:40 AM by cbwilliams »

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 11:51:57 AM »
More on "extra fiish". pp 27, Griswold Cast Iron, isbn #0-89538-023-4. copy from the 1937 catalog. "GRISWOLD---EXTRA FINISH" "Extra finished iron hollow ware of the highest quality. Each piece is carefully molded by experienced workmen insuring thicker, heavier metal, where durability and heat are required. The choicest of high grade superior iron is used, making possible the highly polished inside surface, top edge and handle. To preserve this finish each piece is vaporized with a transparent anti-rust preparation, which eleminates the danger of rust from atmospheric changes."  Thats enough to convence me.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 12:08:25 PM »
Not enough to convince me.  Nowhere have I been able to find a tie in between extra finished and polished.  And why do many pages in a Griswold catalog have "extra finished" at the top of each page yet many pages do not have pieces there are ground and/or polished?  I do agree that the possibility is good that the two tie together but more info is needed by me to make it a fact.  But extra finished also might mean the the overall finish of all pieces was better than commonly made by other makers.
Steve