Author Topic: 12 inch Bail Handled Round Griddle ID  (Read 990 times)

Offline Joe Kress

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
12 inch Bail Handled Round Griddle ID
« on: March 16, 2022, 07:17:21 PM »
Hi folks,

I picked this up recently and struck out searching for any kind of ID or production time frame on the internet.  I know there isn't much to
go on, believe me a tried.

It measures 12 inches from rim to rim and I see no name or number marks of any kind.  I believe there is a gate mark but I am
really not sure if that is what it is.  It is a rather faint line running through the bottom/center of the griddle.

First picture is of how I bought it.  Second and third is after one round of oven cleaner and some scrubbing.

Does anyone have any ideas of age or maker that I have not come across yet in my searches?

Thanks a bunch.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:26:22 PM by Joe Kress »

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: 12 inch Bail Handled Round Griddle ID
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »
I can't say I have ever seen this griddle before.  Does look like a gate mark on the bottom. Sorry i can't help more.

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 01:46:32 PM »
Unmarked is unmarked. With the chip out of the rim, it is a user pan at best. I would not worry about ID. Lodge still had some gate marked pans into the 1920's. Trying to nail this one down to any specific decade would be tough to say the least.

Offline Joe Kress

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 11:50:54 PM »
Thank you Will and Russell for taking a look. I kind of figured identifying a maker would be close to impossible, but was hopeful someone noticed a detail that might yield a clue.

I am more interested in a guess as to when it may have been produced.  I find the age of my cookware more interesting than who made it.  As mentioned before, I believe it has a gate mark and thanks for the info of gate marks being used into the 1920's.

The top surface is nice and smooth with a few casting flaws, but definitely lacks the machine milling marks found on some of the pans I have from the 40,50 and 1960's.  I am talking about those nice concentric circles starting from the center and spiraling outwards.  What type of process did they use before machine smoothing was introduced?

At first I assumed the missing section on the rim was simply broken off, but after cleaning and closer examination it has me wondering.  It is pretty symmetrical and the missing edge is rough casting just like the entire bottom of the griddle.  I am sure it is just wishful thinking. lol. Luckily I am just a cast iron user and not collector so it has no impact to me.  The griddle cooked up some perfect pancakes on the initial run.

It did clean up pretty well with minimal effort and under $10.00 to boot.  Anyone care to venture a best guess on age?

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 07:56:05 AM »
Joe, Here is my GUESS on your griddle. "They" say that some stove foundries included a starter set of hollow ware with each purchase of said cook stove. In some cases the cookware was cast with no marks by another noted foundry. That said, my guess of age is 100 years or more.
Nearly all of us who have cleaned cast iron for years have come across many a mystery piece. I have had one in my kitchen for years. I have shown it to collectors with more experience than I have. Opinions range from an unmarked ERIE to an early LODGE and all between.
I came across a one notch Lodge "Monday Morning" #3 some years back. Bought is because the 3 was backwards. Finally cleaned it last year and it for sure has the finest inner surface I ever came across hands down. Could sell but won't. I use it as an example of what early day Lodge was capable of producing. Hey, keep cooking them flap jacks and ENJOY your find! If they could only TALK! :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 05:45:18 AM by Duke Gilleland »
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Joe Kress

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Duke.

Interesting about the free cookware with stove purchase.  Makes perfect sense.

This whole process is part of the fun.

Have a great weekend!