Author Topic: ID questions, again  (Read 11393 times)

Offline Adrienne Bordo

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
ID questions, again
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »
I have a skillet marked Smart Brockville Ont. My question concerns the marking in the middle. A "G" inside a diamond inside a circle. Is this a  regular marking by this manufacturer or can the skillet be aged by the center stamp? It was here when we moved in almost 40 years ago and had been well used then.
The other question concerns a small skillet (pic attached) with an "x" on the bottom & handle. Might this be a second/reject?

Adrienne Bordo

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: ID questions, again
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
Your Smarts skillet is impossible to date.   There is not enough know about the company,  and I collect Canadian Iron.

Your skillet in the picture is a Wagner made item.   Probably from the 1970's or 80's

Will 8-)

Offline Will Person

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »
Oh,  the x is just a mark that was put on it when it was made.   There are other letters that was used.  

Will 8-)

Offline Adrienne Bordo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
The knowledge on this forum is incredible. Thank you.
The "foundries" pdf I downloaded inspired me to use some elbow grease on the bottom of the enamelled CI pot purchased at a garage sale for $2 last year. It is a L'Islet, likely not too old as it is marked "Made in Canada/ Fait au Canada. I had heard of L'Islet wood stoves before but didn't know they made cooking utensils. I use it almost every day.

Adrienne

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:47:20 PM »
Adrienne,
  Smart, McClary and Findlay are old Canadian foundries that were absorbed by GSW (General Steel Wares). My father has a skillet marked GSW in a shield logo. I have seen a Findlay marked pan with this same GSW in a shield logo. Also have seen them without the logo on items that appear older.
  I see Smart pans both with and without the Diamond "G". I suspect the "G" was added after the merger, but I can't say for sure.
  If you Google "General Steel Wares" in quotes you should find some info on this company.

Chris
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Jerry

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:09:18 PM »
Jerry,
  You may be on to something. I saw that that too, and never made the connection.

Adrienne,
  Does yours look like this?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
The "foundries" pdf I downloaded inspired me to use some elbow grease on the bottom of the enamelled CI pot purchased at a garage sale for $2 last year.

Adrienne,
    If that is the pdf I think it is, it will have the year 2005 on it and is titled "Foundries of the Past and
Present".
    It is merely a sample. The true Foundry List has working links to pages for those foundries.
  Hundreds of pages, and thousands of pictures. It is maintained and constantly updated by Sandy Glenn. I have been helping her with this project for the last few months and have added hundreds of pictures to those pages. She has been gathering these pictures and I do the html coding. This foundry list is only one of many resources available to subscribing members of our forum.

Chris

Offline Adrienne Bordo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
Chris,

That is exactly the same as my Smart skillet. I will have to Google GSW and see what is out there. All the galvanized pails in the kennel are GSW and a lot of the welded wire fencing around the place.
I will also have to look on the bottom of any CI at the garage sales this weekend. Before finding this forum, it was just a quick glance to make sure it didn't say Taiwan.
Thanks again to all, you are great.  

Adrienne

Offline Will Person

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »
Adrienne,
  Smart, McClary and Findlay are old Canadian foundries that were absorbed by GSW (General Steel Wares). My father has a skillet marked GSW in a shield logo. I have seen a Findlay marked pan with this same GSW in a shield logo. Also have seen them without the logo on items that appear older.
  I see Smart pans both with and without the Diamond "G". I suspect the "G" was added after the merger, but I can't say for sure.
  If you Google "General Steel Wares" in quotes you should find some info on this company.

Chris

Looking at the info,  McClary did go into GSW in 1927,  but Findley lasted until the 1974, not joining GSW.    Smart didn't go into GSW either,  but I can't find out what happened to them.  

Will 8-)

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 04:44:18 AM »
Findley lasted until the 1974, not joining GSW.

Will,
   There is a Findlay on the foundry list with GSW in the shield. Must be a ghost mark?

Smart didn't go into GSW either,  but I can't find out what happened to them.

I was mistaken about Smart. Maybe this guy knows.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~obosma/jas_smart.html

Circa 1910 control of the company  was acquired by Canada Foundries and Forgings Ltd. In 1965 the business was sold to Brock Engineering of Montreal, and in 1967 they closed the old waterfront plant in Brockville and moved everything to Montreal. The name James Smart is still being used for a line of gas furnaces.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:24:00 AM by Fryerman »

Offline Will Person

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
Chris,  I remeber that Findley.   I was wondering if Findley got the patterns and used them???

Thanks for the info on Smart.   That should be added to the info we have.

Thanks,

Will 8-)