Author Topic: my new griswold do  (Read 3143 times)

residentv

my new griswold do
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:42:25 AM »
Today was garage sale day.  

Here is a Griswold No 8  ERIE PA. 2568.

It has a notch in the top rim and a matching tounge in the lid.

Inside the lid is highly polished and has kind-of a watermark of the griswold logo. Does anyone have any additional info.

Thanks in advance

Ralph

residentv

Re: my new griswold do
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »
Here is the bottom...

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:15:08 AM »
You got it pretty well covered. Made in the 40-50 time frame.
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »
Does the top have the easy clean surface on the inside of it???  It will be a black coating if it does.  

P.S. I really like it as I am a sucker for high dome plain lids.  Thanks for the pix.

residentv

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »
Jeff,
I have never heard of an easy clean surface, but now I would have to say yes.  I noticed the inside of the lid was different I just didn't know what to call it.  Is the easy clean surface a good thing or not?...

thx

Ralph

residentv

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
Hi Charlee,  

I am a complete newbie, only been collecting a year.  A year ago I didn't know what cast iron was, today I have twenty skillets, 4 or 5 dutch ovens, assorted griddles, grills and muffin pans...  what is wrong with me?  [smiley=1076.gif]

I think the lid is original to the do, in the photo you can see the hinge, although its not really a hinge because the lid comes off.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
Is that lid original to the DO?  The only one in the BB for a DO that has the ears is the hinged lid...
(still tryin' to learn!)
Charlee.....there was a long discussion thread recently about the lids.  That lid shown in the BB with the 2568 oven is original for them I believe, and is also used on the plain hinged skillet #2508.  I believe its the 2598 lid and does not have the contoured rim underneath to fit pour spouts so it works with both ovens and skillets.  The hammered finish version of the skillet and oven lid is the #2098.
Jerry