Author Topic: Wagner #12 skillet info help  (Read 4500 times)

joek

Wagner #12 skillet info help
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
Hey everyone, Im new to the board and it looks like there is alot of good info here. My question is on a skillet that I picked up at a flea market last weekend. It is a Wagner # 12 and it has what I think is a heat ring around the bottom. Any clue how old it may be? Value? thanks in advance for any help.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

Re: Wagner #12 skillet info help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
Hello Joe, welcome to WAGS.  :)
Your skillet, she's a beauty, and an old one. Well, the Blue Book of Wagner and Griswold by Smith and Wafford dates your skillet from 1898 to 1915, and approximate value, in very good condition, 85.00. Like most things though, as far as value, could be more, could be less. The price of cast iron is currently lower than what it has been, and 15 years or so ago, or before ebay anyway, the price of cast iron was signifigantly higher. However, with ebay, them closets, attics, sheds, and old barns are being fleeced, putting a lot more items out there for sale. Hope this helps some. And again, welcome and do be sure to stop back in and see us.  :)

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:47:45 AM »
Welcome to WAGS, Joe.  The red book dates your skillet circa 1915-1920's and values one in excellent condition from $80 to $100.

Book values are a guideline only.  Currently most items are selling for much less than book.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

joek

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the info... I got this one and a #8 Wagner ware dutch oven for $40. I have a question about the discoloration on the bottom, I scrubbed and scrubbed the bottom of it but that is as clean as I got it. Any tips on why it has discoloration and how to get rid of it?

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
Welcome to WAGS, Joe.  The red book dates your skillet circa 1915-1920's and values one in excellent condition from $80 to $100.

Book values are a guideline only.  Currently most items are selling for much less than book.

Sandy a friend told me this, so I checked; blue book 3 edition page 231, top left Circie 1898--- 1915 ? :-? ::). I have the 3 edition in the computer room and the 4th in the car at all times. Sandy not saying that you are wrong, just to say the books differer from this to that. Please do not check my speling :-[
A good friend clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
This has got interesting about the books......Page 12 of the Red Book, top left.  It calls the logo "high position" and 1915-1920.  Several of the same style in red book look alike except for the position of the wording.   Page 10, top right.  The one shown in the blue book looks like the one on page 12 of the red book to me, but has different dates.   Maybe a trained eye can see some difference in the two?.....in any case, the price shows to be about the same for a #12.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:33:55 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

joek

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
im going to have to get these books you guys keep talking about, I wasn't really interested in the value as much as the age, I dont intend to sell it.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
I don't follow these skillets closely any more but I don't think I have ever seen one of these old Wagners sell for half the BB value. And a lot of them are in really great shape.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
I don't follow these skillets closely any more but I don't think I have ever seen one of these old Wagners sell for half the BB value. And a lot of them are in really great shape.
I totally agree Harry.  I learned my lesson on these old Wagners some years ago.  I bought an old Wagner, really nice #11, for what I thought was a great find and a good price based on the books.  Found out different later on.... :D

Its a shame, the old slick, light, Wagners dont get the credit, or the price, they are due, IMO.
Jerry

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »
just to say the books differer from this to that.
Oh, I agree... they sure do differ from one edition to another.  In several instances there are items in both the blue and red books with different dates and prices.  A lot of the duplicate items match up in both books, but some don't.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
I have quite a few large old Wagners like this one, and I stopped selling them because they just weren't bringing the dollar value I thought they should. They are real quality pieces, alot like the ERIE skillets, but just don't bring the money. In fact, the ERIE are bringing much higher than book. One of the only Wagner items I've seen selling for more than book, is a single loaf pan that books for $30, sell for just over $100. I guess ya never know.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
As far as the discoloration on the bottom, I'm guessing rust stains. Just a guess though. Joe, have you checked out the cleaning section for info on cleaning cast iron? I betting that an electro tank will do the best job on your #12. Check into it, and if you have any questions about building an electro tank, let me know, I'll be glad to help out. In fact, any of the members here will be more than willing to talk you through it.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

joek

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:25:38 AM »
I haven't checked out the cleaning part yet, I have a ton of cast iron and normally I just scrub it real good with a stiff brush and steaming hot water then reseason it, im having alot of trouble with the bottom though. Ill check out the posts on cleaning. What about the skillets that are just marked sydney? the woman I got this one from had alot of those and I was going to go back and try to get them this weekend. Are the Sydney pans undervalued as well?