Author Topic: Patty Bowl and Scotch bowl???  (Read 12663 times)

Offline I. Gomez

• Must find a #13 Griswold skillet...
Patty Bowl and Scotch bowl???
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »
What were patty bowls and scotch bowls used for? :-/

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
Re: Patty Bowl and Scotch bowl???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
Patty bowls were used with Patty Molds. Patty molds were made to make (from batter) a cupped or hollowed out pattern that once complete was filled to create deserts with a crispy exterior shell. Have you every had a taco salad in a shaped/fried taco shell? That kind of the picture but much smaller in size. There were cup shaped molds/irons and "rossette" shaped molds/patterns. If you have been in old houses and looked at the top and left corners of the door molding you might understand rossette in this sence and have good mental picture. The cup type molds were typically filled the rossette type mold created shells that were pretty much just powdered else covered with the desert.

I beleive someone posted some pics of actual use on the cooking/recipe forums fairly recently - might want to take a look.

Have your BB yet - if so check pages 143-145.

These things were made by all the major manufacturers of the time. Pretty cool. I have small/old recipe book from Western Importing Company copyright 1905. It's a tough scan. Wondering if I should try anyway to put this in the archive. It's cool, has recipes and pictures/drawings of finished deserts.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:05:54 PM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline I. Gomez

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
Thanks since I picked one up this weekend it would be nice to know how to use it.  If you can scan a recipe that would be great!!

Prairie_Gal

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
After you make some (unsweetened) patty shells, here's one of the MOST traditional things to put inside them.  This is such a "ladies lunch" classic that every basic cookbook carried it, and every proper Lady was expected to serve it at some time or another, as she was expected to produce Waldorf Salad, tomato aspic, and "ambrosia" or she was NO Lady.  ;D  Of course, decades ago, when I was invited to a "luncheon" at the Roanoke, VA country club, as the Daughters of the American Revolution (blue-haired all) wanted to fete me and bestow a "Good Citizenship Award" upon me, a graduating Senior,  THIS was on the menu, along with iced tea, and chocolate meringue pie:

Chicken A La King

Ingredients:

* 2 Tbsp butter
    * Sliced mushrooms (in the olden days, these would come from a can, as would the red pepper, aka "pimento.")
    * 1/2 red pepper cubed
    * 1 cup frozen peas
    * 2 Tbsp flour
    * 1 cup chicken broth
    * 1 cup milk
    * a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
    * a few dashes of herbs: oregano, thyme, basil etc.
    * 2 cups of cooked chicken
    * 1 package of patty shells  (or make your own; better!)

Melt butter in a pan.  Add mushrooms and red pepper and heat for a couple of minutes until softish.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Slowly add in flour and whisk until absorbed.  Stir in chicken broth, milk, Worcestershire sauce, meat and herbs. Simmer until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.  Stir in peas in the last couple of minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F and bake the patty shells for 20 minutes until puffy.  Fill patty shells with the chicken mixture.

Offline Mike Shonfield

• Forever in our hearts!
  • New and Old
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »
My understanding is that scotch bowls were used to make scotch broth and also porridge.

Scotch broth is a hearty stew like soup with barley in it.

If I am wrong I am sure others will correct me.  :)
Change is hard…. it's very tough to bend a coin

Offline I. Gomez

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »
See Katrina I thought the scotch bowl was to fill up with Scotch and Ice so i don't have to refil my drink all the time..  :'(

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Yes - Scotch bowls were for porridge (can you say oatmeal or mush?).  Don't know if that excluded them as performing as patty bowls - but patty bolws would take less oil for the process. I.E. - I believe Scotch bowls had much more volume than patty bowls. You could make patty (molds) in any pot that could hold enough oil to cook them IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:35:44 PM by lillyc »
Ray

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Directly copied with original punctuation and wording from one of the pages of the booklet I mention up-thread:

Creamed Oysters on Rosettes

Parboil oysters, put three or four oysters on top of the Rosette, make a thick cream sauce, highly seasoned, put a spoonful of it on the oysters.

Prepare chicken or veal, place on Rosette and serve in the same way.

Use Rosettes instead of toast, crackers or patty cases, or with any kind of fruit, jelly or marmalades, with or without whipped cream.

Serve the Rosettes with chipped beef and sauce, or dust salt over them and serve with soup or cover with grated cheese, toast in an oven until hot.

Serve with salad.

Oyster Canapes

Take - 1 Cup cream
4 tablespoonful of bread crumbs,
1 tablespoonful butter,
1 can cove oysters.
Paprika, nutmeg, and salt.

Boil the cream, add bread crumbs, then butter.

Chop oysters fine, add oysters and season it.  Serve on Rosettes with olives and little gherkins.

Serve hot.
Ray

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »
Ray, here's a link to the a scan of the same booklet, although it's an earlier version.  Just click on the Andresen Recipe Booklet 1905.  Alfred Andresen founded Western Importing.  The company removed his name replacing it with Western Importing after he left the firm sometime around 1913 or so.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1132657940

The link will only work for WAGS members as it it part of the reference material available to members.

The attached picture is scanned from a Griswold patty mold box.  The illustration shows the early patty mold bowl in use.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:03:42 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
I have the original Griswold recipe for patties from "Aunt Ellen" (AKA Etta Moses) in the WAGS cookbook, under appetizers.

Here is a link to a thread where they were talked about.
http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1233709455
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:00:42 AM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline Judith Holiday

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
Scotch bowls are for oatmeal, the primary Scottish food for centuries.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:57:57 PM by lillyc »
"Freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much." Justice Robert Jackson 1943