Author Topic: Wagner Ware Aluminum Oval Roasters  (Read 730 times)

Offline Steve Kattengell

• WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
Wagner Ware Aluminum Oval Roasters
« on: February 17, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
I am looking for the Model 4269 oval roaster. That is the largest they ever made. Just wondering how hard one could be to find. I have no idea how many were ever made but must have been quite a lot of them. They have become popular in Cajun cooking. I do see them on EBAY but the shipping has made them very expensive to buy out of my area. Almost as much to ship as they are asking for the roaster. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Steve

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
Re: Wagner Ware Aluminum Oval Roasters
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
Saw one size smaller last week at a flea market. $125 made my jaw drop! I know you can buy "knock offs" in Market Baskets stores in the Golden Triangle/Beaumont Texas area. Current price  :question-marks:
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:43:56 PM »
Yes McWare makes one that is suppose to be a copy of the Magnalite ones. They are not cheap either, and made in China. The quality is no where near what a Wagner Ware one is. People are forking out quite a bit online for them so I am thinking they must be buying them to use them and not resell.

Steve

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 08:14:23 PM »
Have a good many in law kin down there. They all like that aluminum cookware. What is the fascination? :scratchchin:
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 10:55:17 PM »
Well gang I found my 4269 today. In great shape but minus the trivet, which is no big deal to me, but would be nice to have one day just so the set would be complete. It is the Sidney O / Magnalite. It was just posted on FB marketplace last night at 10pm. I jumped right on it this morning.Now the cleaning and polishing process begins.

Steve

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 12:00:37 AM »
Congratulations, Steve.  We all know the feeling of being possessed by the need to find an item and the joy we experience when we find it.  I have the 4269 and just purchased a 4267, which I can't wait to get.  And I can't wait to make the first massive stew in it. :cool:

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »
I am dyeing to make a sausage and chicken gumbo in mine. I use to make it in big round pots that were deep, but I am thinking the shorter oval shape will make it much easier. I watched a video from this guy Stalekracker that makes gumbos in Louisianna. He uses an oval pot to make them.

Steve