Author Topic: Wagner Ware 4267 aluminum roaster  (Read 988 times)

Offline Steve Kattengell

• WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
Wagner Ware 4267 aluminum roaster
« on: March 01, 2023, 11:31:03 PM »
Has anyone ever seen one of these roasters that had handles on the ends of the top/lid that fit over the end handles of the bottom. Until today I have not seen any lids that have handles on the ends just the one on the top of the lid..Unless I am looking at an illusion of a pic of one.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kwoAAOSwwQ5e4pbv/s-l640.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kwoAAOSwwQ5e4pbv/s-l640.jpg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:00:43 PM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
Re: Wagner Ware 4267 aluminum roaster
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:02:13 AM »
That's news to me
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 08:37:02 AM »
I just spoke with someone that is selling one and he says my eyes are not playing tricks. It does have handles on the ends ot the top cover that fit over the handles of the bottom. Was this ever made? Or could it possibly be a Chinese fake. In the pics he has posted it appears to be old.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
As a collector of Wagner aluminum, I have never seen this feature. Very odd duck.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 04:57:01 PM »
Steve Katttengell,

A link to the actual auction listing would be helpful............
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:31:46 PM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 12:11:33 PM »
Could GHC be in the "mix" of this odd lid? :scratchchin: :question-marks:
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »
Duke... that is what I am thinkin'....... :blink: :blink:

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »
They were made in the early 30's. The folks on the Magnalite facebook group know all about them. They are original to the Wagner Ware line.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 12:59:37 PM »
Steve , I have many Wagner catalogs that show the Magnalite line........from the 30's and  40's....

These handles are not consistent with anything in the catalogs during those  time frames...

The "Magnalite" line was produced thru the 1990's, with many significant changes made long after Wagner owned the line. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:29:51 PM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Neal Birkett

• WAGS member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 10:29:26 PM »
The PDF "WagAlum1940s" at pgs 23 and 25 appears to show that the 2 larger Magnalite Oval roasters with covers that have end handles as well as a top handle, with a downturning tip of those handles.  The small Magnalite oval roaster and round roaster did not have these end handles on the cover.  These pictures appear similar to handles shown in the original post.  This PDF includes pages with a 1 Nov 1940 date.
Best Regards,
Neal

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 11:13:31 PM »
Thank you Neal ! 

Your eyesight is better than mine! (although I was looking thru the other 30's catalogs I have)

I dug that one out and used a Magnifying Glass !

Offline Neal Birkett

• WAGS member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 02:33:38 AM »
Lucky I guess.  I thought the original picture looked pretty "valid", but the image was not that strong.  Ebay searches revealed only roasters that did not have end handles on the cover.  The important clue was the mention that this was from the 30's.  It seems like a neat piece, but I don't need to collect aluminum too.
Best Regards,
Neal

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 03:30:17 AM »
Neal, I have already lost the battle on the CAST Aluminum....

But I am happy to say that I only have One Magnalite Roaster, uh... okay plus the Large Magnalite platter... so Two Magnalite, uh... jeez... and that set of steak platters, is it four of those?...  so that would be "only seven pieces " of Magnalite...... Ach!

I forgot the NIB ABC Childs Platter!  and the 2 ABC plates in the ' for cleaning' box...

Okay... well hopefully the final count will be 'less' than Twenty Pieces of Magnalite... If I'm lucky.... :grin: :grin:

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023, 04:25:12 AM »
Picture of the piece
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 11:43:32 AM »
Cheryl, ain't it amazing how the memory slides a little about the different types of "treasures" we accumulate over time.  My first introduction to Magnalite was at a flea market in a former drive in movie on Paramount in Lakewood, CA in '06 when I picked up three sauce pans and two lids of GHC Magnalite for $6.  Since then, I must have acquired 3 dozen or more different pots, pans, skillets, lids, and a large stock pot that is great for chili or pinto beans or when Mindie decides to make jelly or squash relish.  Some are Wagner Ware, some are GHC, some are even the Chinese made Magnalite Classic that I brought home without looking too closely to the fine print. I have gifted various pieces to relatives when I needed more room for my cast iron, but I seem to find more to replace the gifts. I have accepted the fact that just like Cast Iron addiction, Magnalite addiction is all too real. One is the gateway to the other. :ani_smiles: :shrug:

Offline Steve Kattengell

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 08:32:55 AM »
Steve , I have many Wagner catalogs that show the Magnalite line........from the 30's and  40's....

These handles are not consistent with anything in the catalogs during those  time frames...

The "Magnalite" line was produced thru the 1990's, with many significant changes made long after Wagner owned the line. 

So it appears I was not hallucinating about the roaster. Facebook has some great people on their page that were able to enlighten me on that roaster. I have actually had that roaster in my hands so I knew it was real, just did not know the era. If you want to see a beautifully restored 4267 with the handles ask Magnalite Man on the FB sight to show you his.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:33:41 AM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Stuart Lowery

• WAGS member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 01:17:55 PM »
Picture of the piece
Thanks for the pic, Dwayne. I've got a small collection of Magnalite and have seen many others over the years. I had one identical to this that I passed on to another WAGS member at one of our swap meets, I think that it was Roger Barfield. It was a "one of a kind" in my experience, some members thought it might've been an early prototype...
At any rate, it's good to see the documentation in this thread, something that WAGS and our members are known for. I love my large Magnalite roasters, add a large turkey, ham, roast, whatever, and they are still light enough to get in/out of the oven. Try that with a 20lb cast iron roaster  :wink:

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 12:47:53 PM »
Saw a small Magnalite pot at flea market last week. Big as day...GHC/Made In china!
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »
Duke, sometime ago I put a photo of a very large Magnalite roaster with lid for sale at a garage sale--made in China. Couldn't believe it. Inside of lid did not have drip rings. Lady said her Mom got it at Walmart.