Author Topic: 14 Stick Hammered Cast Aluminum Cornbread Mold--Maker?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
14 Stick Hammered Cast Aluminum Cornbread Mold--Maker?
« on: March 23, 2023, 10:43:53 AM »
Ok folks, found this last year and have been slowly removing the thick seasoning that completely covered it inside and out, top and bottom. The bottom is hammered, the top smooth, one hang hole. I've been unable to find anything like it in a 14 stick model. Initially thought it might be Wearever given the size of the hammering. Any ideas?

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
Re: 14 Stick Hammered Cast Aluminum Cornbread Mold--Maker?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
Frank, gonna throw this in the mix and really get it going. There once was a small "backyard" aluminum foundry in Cleveland Ohio by the name of Kanter Mfg.. I acquired
a corn cob cornbread pan that they had made about 15 years ago. it was very well cast, hammered finished(small) and was marked with the name and origin. I was able to make contact with one of the Kanter sons. He said his father owned the foundry and died in 1954. The foundry was then shut down. I post this as most of their castings were hammered :undecided: :scratchchin:
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »
Frank Dimos, time to pull out the "Carbon Off" !   :yikes:

And then the Oxalic Acid.... :smiley:

Offline Frank Dimos

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 12:15:33 PM »
Duke, I saw that post when I was trying to research it here. I agree with the similarity. Just don't know if they had unmarked pieces, but if so, it could be a good bet. The hammered effect reminds me of Wearever and perhaps Club pans. I believe Wearever made some cast aluminum cornbread pans, but the ones I've seen all appear to be single row pans.

Cheryl, believe it or not, you're looking at the result of 3 applications of Carbon off so far. When I say the seasoning was thick, I'm talking 1/8-1/4" on the bottom (couldn't tell it was hammered) and the corn stick kernels were almost completely filled in. I'm going to keep messing with it just because I'm stubborn, lol.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:18:10 PM by Frank Dimos »

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 10:10:37 PM »
Looks like a tough job. I had good luck with Dawn Power Dissolver on aluminum.  :scratchchin:
Nowhere But TEXAS!