Author Topic: Question on Wagner Ware  (Read 512 times)

Offline Craig Allison

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
Question on Wagner Ware
« on: December 13, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »

Can anyone tell me when they changed from the markings on the left side pan to the CN like the right side?

The reason I ask is because soon I'll be selling some of my pans at a local market and I'd like to give the most accurate information and dating as possible.

And sorry for the lousy picture...

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: Question on Wagner Ware
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 05:24:27 PM »
Welcome to the craziness. We know that the catalog numbers came out around 1924. So with that, you would think that popular items would have the catalog numbers around then.  But the red book shows is the smooth bottoms came out around 1935. So why does the skillet still have a number on the bottom and not the catalog number?  I honestly can't answer that, but I'm going to guess that the skillet is around 100 years old. And the one with the catalog number, is newer, but by how much? To go back in time would be amazing to catalog when things changed. I hope others can chime in and give you a better answer.

Offline Craig Allison

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 09:21:15 AM »
Even the styles of the handles are different.
I assumed that the one was older but was still hoping that a changeover date was out there somewhere.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 11:13:43 PM »
Craig, the Blue Book page 233 shows a Wagner Stylized logo smooth bottom Size 2 with a similar handle style dated as 1924.  :smiley:

I'm thinking that in the intervening years that either more information appeared, OR an error was corrected from the Red Book.