Author Topic: How Not to Clean Cast Iron  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
How Not to Clean Cast Iron
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
I'll not talk bad about anyone on this open forum, but for some of you newer folks here is a excellent example on how NOT TO clean cast iron.

Restore a cast iron skillet on an open fire
by: xxx
8 out of 8 people found this guide helpful.
Guide viewed: 1221 times Tags: seasoning | cast iron | skillet | camping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many will gasp at the thought of this, but cast iron skillets can stand up to a LOT of abuse. They are the only pan for cooking over a camp fire, for good reason. You can heat them to extreme temperatures, and the only thing likely to suffer any damage is the seasoning. You can also scour them with steel wool, or a steel scouring pad without hurting them one bit. When I am camping I scour my pans with creek gravel, and never damage the seasoning.

When you get a pan that is rusted, or has buildup on the outside, you can strip it down, and make it good as new, whole you are camping, (or you can do it at home, but it is not as much fun).

First, if your pan is rusted, use a steel pad to get most of the rust off. Pitting can be a problem, but I have a deeply pitted pan that works as good as the pan I bought new.

Next, build a big hot fire, and throw your pan in the coals. OK, just set it in there. Throwing is not good for your pan. Let the pan get red hot or close to it, all over. If you have build up it should be flaking off every inch of the pan.

Now take your pan to the river. A heavy piece of stiff wire hooked through the handle is one good way to handle it at this point. Welding gloves, or any tool in the old tool box that will work is fine also, as long as it is not covered in traney fluid or something disgusting. Let the pan cool a little if it is still red, then hold it away from you while you dip it in the water. This is called quenching.

Now when the pan has cooled, scour it with the rocks to get any carbon (black flaky stuff) off. The bottom of the pan is generally the worst. I like to lay it on the rocks and spin it like a steering wheel.

This process should not cause any damage to the environment, unless you happen to kill a fish, while quenching by some twist of fate. You're body puts more pollution in the river when you swim..

Finally, by the time you get back to camp, your fire may have died down enough to season your pan. Oil it inside and out with plenty of oil, and set it on the grill upside down. Leave it for a half hour or so then oil it again and heat it right side up. Repeat the inside seasoning a couple times, and scour off any excess oil that starts to get thick inside the pan right away. Avoid anything salty or acidic in your pan for a couple weeks, and as always keep it dry and lightly oiled all the time, except when washing.

Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
Re: How Not to Clean Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
That has got to be the stupidest piece of advice I have ever read. The article should be titled "How to use a fire and a river to ruin a cast iron skillet".

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
Since this is in the cleaning section, I want to repeat what Sam said......

[size=20]THIS IS NOT THE WAY WE RECOMMEND CLEANING YOUR CAST IRON !!!!! [/size]

So, if you are new to the forum, and looking for a way to clean and season your cast iron, DO NOT use this method.  There is a very good chance you will damage your iron.  You are not trying to temper steel.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention Sam.  I guess there are all kinds of different opinions on cleaning cast iron out there in cyberspace.

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »
 If I remember right from Jr High metal shop, "quenching" was used to temper tool steel. Oil was said to be the best liquid for this... Example would be knife blade, chisel, or center punch which might be shaped in a forge :-/
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:02 PM »
I have a suggestion for any of our knowledgable members that see someone near a creek with a piece of cast iron:

1. Politely introduce yourself, and tell them about your love of cast iron.
2. Ask to see the piece that they are working on.
3. Remind them that cast iron is fragile except for when used for,
4. Beating them about the head and torso region.
5. Proceed to follow step 4 until they promise never to use this method again, and then take their piece of cast iron, and hope that it can be at least returned to "user" status.

These steps are guarateed to help rid the world of cast iron abuse.

If step 4 is followed in an efficient manner, the cast iron abuser will suffer  amnesia of the "beating", but still remember the words that they promised.

Or you could at least yell at them, and show them the proper way of cleaning and seasoning CI.

DISCLAIMER: Do not follow any of the numbered steps above, as this may lead to arrest, and imprisonment.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »
We should create a new section that is titled "Made In China" and have this as our seasoning method for overseas iron!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:46:12 AM »
"Made In china"? AKA "Trot Line Weights" >:(
Nowhere But TEXAS!