Author Topic: First try at a WI handle  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
First try at a WI handle
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
I haven't used a wood lathe since High School. I finally managed to get one for a good price a few weeks ago. Took some time on Sunday afternoon to make this. Took about an hour. Demensions are a little off, but I have alot more wood in stock to improve on that. I'd like to be able to replace burnt or broken handles on WI's.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline C. Perry Rapier

Re: First try at a WI handle
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »
Chuck, that looks very nice.  ;)

Next you'll be sellin replacement handles.  :)

Now you know some of them had them little nubby handles. Just stubs I'd call them, or do you think they themselves are or have been replacements? :-/

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »
Why Thank You Perry. I've always liked how turned wood looks, but never had a lathe to make my own things on.
I've seen the nubby handles also Perry. As far as I know, they were original on some of the WI's. I don't think I'd have any problems making replacements for them.  ;D
For now, I'm just looking to replce my own WI handles that aren't the best looking. I'd still keep the originals, and if I ever sold one of my WI's, the originals would go with it. I would have to have a tracer lathe system in order to turn enough out to sell in any quantity, but if someone here needs a set, I wouldn't mind making them. I'd just ast them to mail one of the original to me, and I could copy a set, but as far as mass producing, I'm not nearly fast enough to do that.
One thing I have noticed is that the section of handles that fit into the WI, vary in size. That would be another issue that I would have to overcome in order to produce these.
I'm going to try some Wagner style handles next. I have a twin paddle that has less than desirable handles, and would like to replace them. They look a little easier to make. I'll have to let you know how they turn out. All I need is the time to do them. I spent this afternoon, cutting some SS to replace the liner in my electro. Actually, I lined another 55 gallon plastic drum, and should have that up and running soon. I'll save the rest of that story for it's proper place on the forum.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
Heck yeah, real nice!! That sure beats a plain ole dowel rod.  I can use a set for a Gris #7 acorn hinge W/I.   ::)
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

mississippi_slim

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »
hi chuck.very nice job and it aint as easy as some would think to free hand them...yours look like pine..i would think the original would be a harder tighter grained wood...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:41:53 PM by mississippi_slim »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »
Hey Ed, I have a #7 acorn hinge WI that I could fit a set to, but like I mentioned, the fits seem to vary. If I leave them a bit oversized, would you be able to sand them down to fit? Let me know, I'd be glad to help you out. Just send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Hey Jimmy, Your right, that one is pine. It was a test run to see if I could do it, and have it look good. I have maple, oak, and ash stock that I could use. If someone wants a particular type of wood, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
Turned out real good!
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:07 AM »
that looks great.  I was thinking of doing the same thing but don't seem to find time to do what I have on my plate currently.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

mississippi_slim

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
chuck if i could find it in your part of the country my choice would be cherry..works well and will not shrink or split..

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
Thanks Jimmy. Cherry is available, but can be pricey, but if it works the best, I might as well use it. Does anyone know what was used on the originals? I've heard that it was just about any hardwood.

mississippi_slim

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
chuck i saw one that had a split handle..lol broke...the inside color and grain looked like black walnut..it lookes like a regular 3/4 inch square would turn out a handle..if so with cherry wouldnt cost you over 25 cents per handle..i think cherry here is about 3 bucks per board foot...saw mill run  would be a full 1inch thick x 12 inches wide...

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
It was a test run to see if I could do it, and have it look good. I have maple, oak, and ash stock that I could use. If someone wants a particular type of wood, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
If a lot of the original WI handles were painted black, what difference would it make what kind of wood was used.  The dowel type that I've had looked like poplar or some other wood with hardly any, or no grain to it.  I just used dowel rod to make replacements, and after they were painted, they looked like the originals that were burned.
Jerry

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
The only concerns about the type of wood, would be, shrinkage. If they shrink, they get loose. Cracking, and overall durability. Softer wood could dent easier. I have heard that they used just about any type of wood they could get. I think the one that I copied, was made from maple. You are right about the appearence though Jerry. If it's painted, it would still "look" the same.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »
that looks great.  I was thinking of doing the same thing but don't seem to find time to do what I have on my plate currently.

Thank You Greg. It's alot of fun turning wood on the lathe, but you have a point about time. If I can get good at it, it would take less time, but I need the time to spend to get good at it.  ;D . So if I'm not on here posting, I may be in the shop turning.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 11:18:16 PM »
If someone could draw it out on CAD,  I could run it on a CNC lathe.

Will 8-)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 07:20:30 AM »
CNC lathe or a copier would be ideal and make quick production.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
I used to work in a shop where I programmed, set-up, and ran CNC lathes. I wish I still had access to them. I could have fed a 20' wooden rod in one end, and it would have just kept making them until the rod ran out. Self feeding machines are great.  ;)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
I used to work in a shop where I programmed, set-up, and ran CNC lathes. I wish I still had access to them. I could have fed a 20' wooden rod in one end, and it would have just kept making them until the rod ran out. Self feeding machines are great.  ;)

I program, set up, and run CNC mills and lathes at work.  Love it.  What I would have to do is find out every start and stop point of every radius on the part.   Then turn away.   Have never turned wood??? ;D   Plastic steel and aluminum is the norm for me.   I guess one day I will have to try.   I will have to put a handle on the optical comparator and map it out and program it up to work. ;)

Will 8-)