Author Topic: Before and After  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Before and After
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
Chuck,
I can't wait to met you in Carlisle.  You have an amazing way of cleaning and preserving history.  Well done!!

Greg, now I ain't throwin off on Chuck or anything, but when he come here, he was dumber'n a hoe handle about cast iron, and you can see what the boy has done, SO, heres what I wanna know, do you think maybe we can charge him double dues since he has been so studious and all?  :o ;D

I've always given credit to WAGS. Without you guys, I'd be throwin' the stuff in a fire, or sandblasting it.  :o  Thankfully I found you guys first. Perry, I figure that I have doubled the amount of clean iron in PA, so that should account for something.  ;D
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
Chuck turned out great as always

Thank You Robert. It's good to hear from you again Robert. Don't make it so long before we hear from you again.  
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »
Chuck turned out great as always

Thank You Robert. It's good to hear from you again Robert. Don't make it so long before we hear from you again.  

Yea trying to get everything back to normal. :)
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
Here's it's older brother sporting the same look.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »
And the after

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:55 PM »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Very nice Chuck. I figure by the convention, you ought to have that 10 that goes with it and you can bring them to "My Favorites". I see that nine has done a lot of good cooking. And I also see you got a pattern makers mark on the nine.

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:09 PM »
Chuck, in the picture of the inside bottom there appears to be some sort of ring around on the outside edge.  I saw that in the auction pictures also, I asked the seller about it during the auction but didn't really get an answer.  They told me they thought it was just build up. In hand can you tell just what that is?  Mike

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
Thank you Perry. I'm hoping to have the #10 also. Actually, I'm trying to decide what to bring as a My Favorites display. ERIE, IM, WI's. I've aquired quit a few OLD Griswold WI's as of late, and I'm sure I'll have a few more by then  ;D

I'm not sure if that letter A counts as a pattern makers mark or not. I checked Roys' study, but it doesn't cover the deep skillets.

You are correct, this one has seen some cookin' that's for sure. I'm just relieved that it's not cracked, or warped.

Now for that #10.  :)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »
Chuck, in the picture of the inside bottom there appears to be some sort of ring around on the outside edge.  I saw that in the auction pictures also, I asked the seller about it during the auction but didn't really get an answer.  They told me they thought it was just build up. In hand can you tell just what that is?  Mike

It appears to have been cast that way, unless it was machined a little too hard in that spot. I'm not quit sure how the insides of these older skillets were machined, so I can't say for sure. The ring is deeper than the rest of the cooking surface. Also, I don't know of any others to compare it to. Maybe Perry could check his.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »

It appears to have been cast that way, unless it was machined a little too hard in that spot. I'm not quit sure how the insides of these older skillets were machined, so I can't say for sure. The ring is deeper than the rest of the cooking surface. Also, I don't know of any others to compare it to. Maybe Perry could check his.

I have one,  don't know size or maker,  but I have one that the bottom inside is the same way.   Now to find it???!!!??? :-/

I would say made that way,  or someone really liked to stir around the outside ALLOT!!!! ;D

Will 8-)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
I have never seen that on any that I have, or elsewhere. I thought it just looked that way. And I would certainly say it was made that way. So its new to me. But it certainly looks factory though, too uniform to be otherwise I would think.

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »

Chuck, I didn't mean my question to mean anything negative about your skillet.  I had just not seen that before and was curious.  I agree that it looks like it came for the factory that way and was part of the grinding process since the outside bottom of your skillet looks great.  These skillets are well over a hundred years old so it still amazes me that we can even find them in any condition.  Mike

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »

Chuck, I didn't mean my question to mean anything negative about your skillet.  I had just not seen that before and was curious.  I agree that it looks like it came for the factory that way and was part of the grinding process since the outside bottom of your skillet looks great.  These skillets are well over a hundred years old so it still amazes me that we can even find them in any condition.  Mike

;D I didn't take it that way Mike.  ;D Sounds like another case of You can't hear my vocal expression, and you can't see my facial expression, but my word looked like I was offended by the question. There must be a term for that. ;D

Your question wasn't taken that way at all Mike. Maybe it's the way I word things, I don't know ;D.

I hope none of this sounds like I'm offended.  ;D If you could see me, I have a smile on my face. In fact, I'm crackin' myself up.  ;D ;D

Perry, I have seen this type of "marking" in these older skillets. Maybe the pattern was not made just right, or it was the grinding. Either way, I stll like it.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
Thats interesing Chuck, that you have seen that kind of 'marking" before. Perhaps I have seen it and do not remember it, maybe its a PA thing.  ;D :)

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
I suspect it occurred during the surface grinding.  They just hit it a little hard on the outside edge.  I've seen many that were that way in the very center.  
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
The picture makes the area look deeper than it is. You can feel it, but it doesn't show that well in person. I'm with Roger. the grinding machine operator was asleep at the controls.  ;D