Author Topic: Antique store score!  (Read 2962 times)

redemptionsongs

Antique store score!
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »
We have an antique mall a few miles down the road from our house and I love to go in there and look around. They have a lot of CI there, but a lot of it seems pretty pricey, especially for someone new to CI that doesn't know what to look for. Anyway, I found a Wagner aluminum roaster with lid. It could use some cleaning, but I was able to get it for only $6. I had been looking for a dutch oven , but this will do until I am able to find one.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
Re: Antique store score!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
That is a good price on the roaster and they really do clean up good and look very pretty when they are all polished and shiny!!

I usually use a Scotch Brite pad to get the tough stuff off.  Then I use a clean 0000 steel wool with just water.  Then I switch to 0000 steel wool and a lot of Dawn dish soap (I think the Dawn acts as a lubricant) and it leaves a great shine!

I can tell you this for sure.  Once you get that piece all cleaned and polished you will think that you paid too much for it!!   ;D  You just let me know if I am wrong!

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:47:57 AM »
Hope its a Magnalite. Those are nice. I have 3 sizes and now want the smallest one......l. :)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
That is a good price on the roaster and they really do clean up good and look very pretty when they are all polished and shiny!!

I usually use a Scotch Brite pad to get the tough stuff off.  Then I use a clean 0000 steel wool with just water.  Then I switch to 0000 steel wool and a lot of Dawn dish soap (I think the Dawn acts as a lubricant) and it leaves a great shine!

I can tell you this for sure.  Once you get that piece all cleaned and polished you will think that you paid too much for it!!   ;D  You just let me know if I am wrong!
hmmm, I might have to try that on some of my toys!!
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:59 AM »
Greg it will still leave scratches but it works really really well.  Check out this Magnalite I sold recenetly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320481792093&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
Greg it will still leave scratches but it works really really well.  Check out this Magnalite I sold recenetly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320481792093&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Jeff, I seen that piece. It sure looks nice to me. I think you did an excellent job.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
I have a 4267 Magnalite that will start tonight that cleaned up really good also!  Some of these aluminum pieces are a big pain in the rear to get cleaned up and shiny  >:(

redemptionsongs

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »
Wow Jeff, that looks amazing! Mine is like that, a magnalite. I haven't had time to mess with it yet, 3 crazy kids 5 and under don't give me a lot of time to play with steel wool  ;D

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »
I think I might find a reason to put the kids in "Time Out" and make them scrub on it  :) :)

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »
I think I might find a reason to put the kids in "Time Out" and make them scrub on it  :) :)

Took the words right out of my mouth  ;D ;D Pretty hard to mess anything up with 0000 wool, unless it's a 4269 and they take it outside and use it for a sled  :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:03:57 AM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
I have a 4267 up for sale right now and it is quite large.  I could see two kids actually using a 4269 for a sled

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:20 AM »
That 4269 would also make a good bath tub for a baby too.  ;)