Author Topic: Pot Belly Stove  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Pot Belly Stove
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
I know its not cookware, but you can cook on it. I just dunked some parts from a pot belly stove. Deb has been wanting one for years. We picked up a real nice one at an auction about a year ago for $5. It's an original, although I can't remember who made it, and the piece with the name on it is in the tank. We didn't want to get a repro. It just need some TLC to bring it back. Here is a pic of the stove just before disassembly. The legs are already off of it. I take pics as I take it apart so that I can refer back to them for assembly. It's just a precaution. I don't like guessing when it comes to reassembly.
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »
The Potbelly stove pieces are still in the tank. I ran out of time today, and will be working on them tomorrow. Here is what was keeping me so busy. I picked this cast iron kerosene heater up about a year ago, and have finally gotten around to it. These first pics are of the heater after I pulled the fuel tank out. I took these for reassembly reference. The first pic is of the top section.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:25:44 AM by Sandy_Glenn »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »
And the base. The fuel tank is already out. It sits in the large round opening in the base.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:26:28 AM by Sandy_Glenn »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:46:27 PM »
Here it is, already for assembly. The tank is still downstairs. I couldn't fit another piece in the pic. Don't mind the skillets, and the aluminum in the background.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »
I'll start assembly tomorrow morning, and work on it between washing and drying potbelly stove parts. Is anyone good at puzzles?  ;D ;D  The only thing missing is the little finial on the top. I'm sure it wasn't all that fancy. I'll have to find one to fit. There is also 12 little decorative windows around the outside of the frame area for a nice visual effect. The windows were made of mica, and were pretty rough to say the least. I was able to find a mica supplier that cut the pieces to the size I needed. It's been so long, but I think it was a member here that pointed me in the right direction for the mica supplier.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:02:56 AM by crogers561 »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:48:50 AM »
I can't wait to see it all together. I haven't shown the fuel tank, but it's all brass, and I put in about 15 hours polishing it. There is actually an outer cover that surrounds the tank. Both are brass, and should look nice against the black.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
Well half of the Pot Belly Stove is cleaned, and painted. The other half is in the tak, and the Kerosene heater is complete. I have a whole series of assembly pics, but I'll just post the finished product.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:41:29 PM by crogers561 »

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
The mica windows were a first for me. They went in rather easy. I have 3 more pieces of mica for a big ole parlor stove that I will be restoring. That one has quite a bit of nickel plated part on it. I can only assume that the plating will run a pretty penny. I haven't check into it yet.

The Kerosene Heater is actually fully functional. Just add Kerosene. The Wick, and the wick mechanism are in great shape.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
I need to find a finial for the top. There is a hole to mount one. I think it will finish it off nicely. The odds of finding one that fits are pretty slim though.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:33:05 PM »
Finally got this one done.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »
Any info on this manufacturer?

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »
ALERT No. 11 . Or    No. ALERT 11 as it's cast into the stove.